Help w/ new job

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Help w/ new job

Hey, started a new job, oil changes/tire work at a shop. Was wanting to know if theres any rule of thumb or guesstimate on how much oil a given vehical would take after an oil change? like after the oil is all out whats a good way of judging how much to go in?

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

What shop are you at that they haven't taught you this? :x (I'm holding back on my tire comment)

Makes me happy I change my own oil! Each vehicle has it's own specification. The shop should have a book that lists the cars and the amount of oil that should go in it. If they don't have this information, find a job at a better oil/tire place, it will only help you in the long run.

You can always fall back on the vehicle owners manual.

posted by  theman352001

I concur with theman 100%. As a general rule of thumb you'll find most four cylinders take 4 quarts, most six and eight cylinders take 5 quarts. Until you have some experience under your belt go by the book if available. Or use one less than you think the engine needs, then recheck after running it for a minute. It's easier to add than subtract.

One word of caution. GM Northstars use 8 quarts, so don't do a start and check with only 4.

posted by  vwhobo

make sure you dont double gasket the oil filter. "messy problem"
good luck.

posted by  (o) (o)

Allrighty, thx guys. we dont have a book :rolleyes: but ill see about getting one, if not for the shope just for me 8)

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

<---Hopes this "shop" isn't in So. Cal.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Your Message