1997 F-150 electrical problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1997 F-150 electrical problem

hey, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what my problem might be, i tried starting my truck last friday afternoon and it wouldnt start, it wouldnt jump off of my friends truck either, and i was still getting power tot eh panel lights and everything, then this guy who was helping me out move the ground jumper clip from the edge of the truck to the ground post, i lost all power to my truck even the the power locks, and now when i use a light tester, the light is brighter when i touch it to the ground post than the hot post, another guy was helping me look at it and he started messing with ground and hot wires under the transmission and we got light to the hood light and when i opened the door i got the dome light was a little dim but it came on, but as soon as i tried switching on the panels lights i lost everything again and we never got anything back, oh and we tried another battery and it didnt make any difference, so i'm stumped any suggestions, oh and it is a 4.6 liter triton v8 if that helps

posted by  busted shoulder

No expert, but I would replace the battery cable(cables)

posted by  lectroid

hmmm, not a bad idea, any other suggestions?

Mainly that sounds like it is

posted by  Coffin Type R

It's also possible that you may have blown a diode ot two in the alternator with your efforts in trying to jump the truck. Do the cables first. :2cents:

posted by  lectroid

thanks, i've got another friend of the family thats gonna come look at it tomorrow, and if he can't figure it out i'll try the cables

isnt just as easy to do a voltage drop test on the cables? b4 u start replacing it?

posted by  thongsai

Your Message