Getting pickle smell out of my Cavalier

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Getting pickle smell out of my Cavalier

I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier. I was running an errand for work when a 3 gallon jug of pickles spilled in my front seat. :driving: To give you a mental picture - there was pickle juice swished around on the floor of the passenger side of the car with pickles floating around. :ohcrap:

I got all of the visible juice and pickles out, but obviously the smell was still there. I had the carpets professionally cleaned at the local car wash and it didn't help at all. I took the car to a detailer and had the whole inside detailed and the pickle smell was still there. Actually I think it smelled a little bit worse then because the "clean" smell of the soap sort of mixed with the pickle smell making a unbearable stench. So as a last resort we took out the carpeting, cleaned the floor and cleaned the carpets ourselves. The smell is much better now, but still there.

Is there anything else I can try? Someone mentioned to me that there was some sort of "oxygen" cleaning treatment I could try, but I haven't been able to find anyone who knows what this is. Any suggestions? Or do I just have to drive my car with the windows open and a closepin over my nose for the next ten years?

posted by  sister

try fabreez it soaks up the smell of cigarette smoke pretty dam good im sure it can handle some pickle juice....

posted by  99hatch

Fabreze will probably work, look for the "deep clean spray". You have to spray every piece of fabric in you car, the head liner and the foam cushioning under the seats. I'm sure you will get rid of the smell (pickles OR cat piss= puke) Get a can of OUST while your'e waiting,it kills aborne odors. You may have to reapply the Fabreze a couple of times.

posted by  lectroid

if all else fails there is a sprey called oderban, you can get it at wal-mart, it has a weird smell that goes away real quick and get everything out.

posted by  monteofdoom

thanks for the suggestions! I'll try out the fabreze first and sees if it works.

posted by  sister

Damn niggers. Always eatin' pickles. Won't you pour some of that jerry-curl juice on it. Or how about you give the smell one of those Allen Iverson cross-overs.

posted by  DamnNiggers

No racist remarks, please. and if you dont believe me read the rules of the forum.

heres the quote:

posted by  Coffin Type R

Racist! I ain't no god damn racist! I'm a full blooded southern AMERICAN. What the hell you talkin bout. You get cut saying things like that down here boy.

posted by  DamnNiggers

if the fabreeze does not work...go to wal-mart and get some oxy-clean. I had a car that had this stench after I had a case of beer smashed and nothing got out that smell...untill I made a mixture of 2 scoops and a gallon of hot water...this stuff is good for stains also

posted by  ~SK~

What do you think I am? Huh? Huh? Ohh.. Thats it. YOU weren't thinking. I am a gunloving full red blooded American. And I was just warning you cuase that might be constued as racist you can get banned for that.

posted by  Coffin Type R

looks like we got another cool kid in the crowd...careful with this kid, dont wanna get cut for sayin something

posted by  mazda6man

Words don't cut like a knife. Kid would probably take a knife to a gun fight. :doh:

posted by  lectroid

...just be careful man, he sounds dangerous, i dont want to get hurt 'round these parts

posted by  mazda6man

you talking about me? Just courious

posted by  Coffin Type R

i mean the racist kid

posted by  mazda6man

I've used ODOBAN before and it made my wife sick, she just can't stand it and refuses to buy it anymore (but I like the smell of cat piss and pickles :laughing: ). It didn't bother me that much, but I prefer FEBREZE.

posted by  lectroid

I love febreze. use it on everything in my apartment and car.

posted by  Coffin Type R

I ain't no racist, and you ain't no white. Damn colored boy, take that Jap out of your signature. And what the hell you named yourself after a gook company for? Get a CHEVY, or a FORD. God damn it, you damn coloreds!

posted by  DamnNiggers

you have some issues.... :screwy:

posted by  ~SK~

Keep it up and make yourself all sort of enemies, cause the more enemies you have, the shorter your life will be. AND get off your high horse, cause there are some of us who like japanese cars. This is public forum that does have some rules.

posted by  Coffin Type R

:sleep: *YAWN* Boring troll.

posted by  lockdown16

*sigh*

I truly don't belive that he is actually a racist or even from the south but instead some dumb kid giggling to himself as he spills cheerios on his lap and makes fun of people on the internet.

Anyway, back to the smell thing.

If you think pickle smell is bad, think of this, I was getting groceries for my mom and on the way home I slammed on my brakes because I got cut off. Well i made my way home and when I went to get the groceries I found them floating gently in a pool of milk that had filled my spare tire compartment (the spare isn't there because its flat and therefor rather useless)I then saw the empty milk container with a rather fair sized hole in it and a pencl sitting inside it. My theory is that when I slammed on the brakes, the gallon of milk flew forward onto the pencil which peirced the container, then found its place inside, unclogging the hole and filling my spare tire compartment with milk.

Anyway, I cleaned it out using a cup and rag, but my car smelled like rancid, curdling milk for about a month afterward. I gagged every time I drove the car with the windows up.

posted by  Zalight

Shii...curdling milk is tight..what did u use for the smell?

posted by  99hatch

A girl I once worked with had only had her new car for a couple of months when one Friday evening she went grocery shopping on her way home from work. When she unloaded the groceries at home she didn't realize something was missing. She didn't drive the car all weekend so it just sat in the hot summer sun.

It wasn't until she went to get into it Monday morning to go to work that she found out a whole raw chicken had fallen out one of the grocery bags in the trunk. The smell was horrible as you can imagine if you've ever smelled something dead and decaying. I don't know how she drove it to work and even with all the doors open and windows down you couldn't get within 3 feet of it without smelling it. I don't know if she ever got the smell out or how if she did. :doh:

posted by  TedEBearNC

to bad im probably one of the whitest people youll ever see... and if i might ask, if youre not racist, what do you have against japanese and other misc. colored people? with your profane word usage and whatnot, you sound racist to me... unless you only act like that to be a cool kid, where in my mind, and probably most everyone else's mind, its not working... if youre gunna talk crap about peoples ethnicities go to kkk.com or something... geez, people piss me off... also, are all kids in the south as good with grammar as you are? granted sure im not the greatest, but you suck! holy crap

i cant believe im part of a flame war... this is not cool

posted by  mazda6man

You can say that again. Sorry you had to get in on it, but people like just piss me off, and i am pretty mellow person.

posted by  Coffin Type R

yes, but you're getting pissed off for the right reason. I know it's cheesy, but you're pissed off because someone is being treated unfairly, you;re doing it in the name of Justice (Dun-duh-duh-DUH!!!).

it's probably like Zalight said, some little kid trying to have power over us. Ignore it, anyone who doesn't want to be part of it, and I'll be the only guy flaming him.

Come on you fatass pasty gun toting racist. What are you doing out of the corn fields? And even if you were through plowing, Bessie needs milkin. (By Bessie I mean your cat). Only 60 percent of americans have internet. Why can't you join the 40%? You're not wanted here, so just go away. People like you make me disgusted to call myself an american.

posted by  Godlaus

Since it spilled in an area with just metal, I couldn't use Febreeze as it only works on fabric, so after it was emptied and cleaned I sprayed the hell out of it with Lysol.

posted by  Zalight

Aw man, that's worse! The febreeze worked pretty well. I bought a huge jug of it and sprayed almost the whole bottle. The smell is still there, but it's light enough that you can't really tell exactly what the smell is. Hopefully, this summer I can let it air out every day and it will help even more. Thanks for the suggestions!

posted by  sister

I suspect you need to take the carpet and seat out of the car and have it professionaly deodourised. Have you tried a solution of oxygen bleach, like nappysan on a concealed portion of the carpet?

I can tell you from personal experience that auto carpet is generally pretty colourfast as I had a 20 litre drum of liquid chlorine empty it's contents in my boot and there was no discolouration.

posted by  Wally

I read all of the ideas that have been suggested. They aren't bad ideas but most of them are designed to mask the smell only and eventually the pickle smell will be back along with the decomposing build up of whatever else you put into the fabric. Who ever mentioned to you "Oxygen Cleaning Treatment" is on the right track. The pickle smell is actually still in the fabric, headliner and anywhere else where airborne particles can stay. The same goes for cigarette or cigar smells; no matter how long you open the windows eventually the smell comes back. A company called Vaportek makes a machine called a Restorator. It actually eliminates odors. I used it in a car with a rotten odor for 2 days and it eliminated the stench, PERMANENTLY! Maybe they can assist you where to rent one locally or something along that line that would work, but they would be your best place to start. I was able to borrow one from a friend so sorry I don't have any available resources of where you can get one.
Good Luck!
Big Dan

posted by  Big Dan

Your Message