1973 VW Bus

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1973 VW Bus

1973 VW Bus

Looking to get the engine rebuilt and start using this gem again. I love it!! It requires no smog inspection anymore here in Calif... :thumbs:

It is the rear engine model... ;) and is the suitcase type. Is that called Type II? It has the dual Solex carbs. Is there more info I need to give you?...oh...I'm looking at a stock rebuild...nothing fancy.

In your professional estimation / opinion...what am I looking at to get this thing rebuilt by a good VW mechanic?

What are some things I should ask that would normally be overlooked?

posted by  BavarianWheels

I forgot two things in my last post. I've been wrenching on air-cooled VW's for close to 40 years (I started REAL young), over 25 professionally, so if you have any Q's I can handle them. Also one of the best Type IV guys in the country has an excellent site that may help you in your quest.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Home_Page.htm

posted by  vwhobo

First off the Bus is a Type II, the engine is designated a Type IV. You're correct in that it is a 1700 cc, solid lifter, dual carb engine. I'm really wondering why you want to rebuild it because at 63k (info from another post) it has alot of life left in it, assuming it's been taken care of.

Pricing a rebuild is difficult because I have no idea what labor rates are in your area and without tearing it down I can't see what parts will need to be replaced. Obviously you'll need new bearings, seals, gaskets and to be safe exhaust valves. What I can't tell you is the condition of the crank, rods, pistons and cylinders, heads and case.

Your best bet is to do some shopping, there's a bazillion places in SoCal that can do a professional job on it for you. The down side is there's just as many who'll screw you on the deal. Be careful of anyplace that gives you an exact price off the top of their head. Either they'll do a minimal job no matter what it needs or they'll get it torn down then call you and say it's gonna cost some ungodly amount.

Your best bet is to find a place that will quote you a firm price on labor and basic parts and be honest enough to tell you they don't know for sure what it needs till it's opened up. Any more questions just ask. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

63k was a joke...I'm sure it's been around the block twice...

Darn the luck...that means foot work on my part... :(

Thx for the info, though. I will be wary of "one price wonders."

posted by  BavarianWheels

Hey Bav, is it on the road yet?

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message