When books don't help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  When books don't help

Let me tell you a story;

Once upon a time, a little boy named Godlaus only wanted to fix up his 1990 Ford taurus GL 3.8L V6 3speed auto, as the power steering fluid was leaking from 5 or 6 places. He took the car to A&M, where the evil mechanic overcharged him for a part that didn't need to be replaced. Godlaus complained, but the evil man simply flashed his certification in Godlaus' face. The new part was in, and there was nothing that Godlaus could do, lest, until his lawyer father came home. Godlaus paid the 750 dollar fee for a new steering rack and pinion, and the $100/hour fee and drove the car home. Smoke radiated from under the car once he parked it in the driveway. Young Godlaus decided he would replace the leaking pump, resevoir, pressure and return hoses himself. He called up NAPA and put in the order for the parts, and opened his Chilton's guide to figure out how to replace the pump and hoses. Alas, the book spoke only of the pump being replaced, and not the hoses. Godlaus searched in vain, looking through many books and on the internet, but no info prevailed. The $150 dollar parts now sit in his room, waiting to be installed, but young Godlaus was in despair, then he turned to his computer.

So, yeah, I can't find any instructions on replacing it, and I don't want to pay another 750 bucks to have it replaced professionally. Anyone have any experience with power steering hoses, or know of a site that gives info about it?

posted by  Godlaus

now in reading your story that sounds all to familiar, b4 you go sue crazy on the mechanic, if your rack was leaking, thats a safety issue and should have been replaced
a. you didnt explain your problem to the mechanic properly and he went looking for the major leaks
b. is there notes on your work order about any other reccomendations about p/s leaks
c. he's a dick and just gouged you
as for the other parts what do you need to know?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

The pressure hose? If you just look at it it's pretty simple. It runs from the back of the pump, around the back of the engine and down to the rack. It's alot simpler than it looks. Disconnect both ends, disconect the clamp where it passes behind the block/over the bellhousing and wiggle it out. Getting it out is the hardest part but it's not brain surgery. Slip it back in, refill the system and bleed it. Even after it's bled expect the system to make some noise for a while because... Well, because Tauruses suck for that.

posted by  vwhobo

a. I told him that the power steering fluid was leaking onto the exhaust pipe and that it was creating smoke (It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't smoking, i could just refill it every 3-4 days until I got it fixed myself) and that I needed it fixed.

b. yes, there's someting on here about how the pump and hoses need to be replaced.

c. Yup
-------------------
Here's the story. He called me up because the price for the steering rack was over the $85 limit, and told me that they filled up the pump, ran it for a few miles and that they enitre rack was wet. And this point, bells were going off, so i asked them about the hoses and the pump. They said they didn't know yet. more red flags going up. So, i said I would call them back, and i called up my dad, who called them and had them replace the rack, because coincidentally, he said it was a safety issue. They however worked teir way from the most expensive part down, instead of doing a full diagnostic on the system. hence, they wanted to replace the steering rack and pinion, the most expensive part to be replaced in my situation. So, we're going to see if we can get the money back for the labor, and not the parts.

---------------

yeah, but I bought it for one dollar, and I'm selling it now for a 93 camaro RS (SWEEEEEET!!!). My experience with ford though, is not a good one.

Thanks for the advice, vwhobo, you seriously helped.

posted by  Godlaus

BTW dude, you got seriously boned. That's about a $500 job including alignment. You must live in Richville or Moneytown.

posted by  vwhobo

Pretty much, the average house cost within 5 miles of my home is roughly 1.2 mil. and the average income is like 125k. Oh yeah, and the shops owner drives a perfect RX-7. That shoulda been a tip to me.

posted by  Godlaus

Your Message