Welding concern

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Welding concern

This coming summer I'm going to be doing a lot of work on my car, before it gets any worse. This means welding is a must, but here is my problem. What about the gasoline in the gas tank, should I take it out because running high current through the car doesn't make me feel all that safe. Also what about the car electronics will those need any prepping before I strike the first arc? I don't think the rest of the car needs to be prepped, except the weld area obviously.

posted by  info2x

well if it were me. and it is computer controlled... let someone else do it, lol, or if your that keen, disconnect the battery(both posts) and just stay away from the gas tank, but don't empty it out completely, more ignitable fumes in an empty tank then there are in a full tank. to be absolutely sure the have the computer pulled or disconnected. welded on newer cars is always a risk

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

It's not a new car by any means. It's a 1985 Volvo 240DL, but it still has computers in it. Nothing real fancy I discovered them when I took the dash out. As of right now I'm going to leave the gas tank alone. I don't plan on welding near that for a good long while.

posted by  info2x

I don't know where you will be welding. I'll tell you one thing from a near death experience(I saw HELL),DO NOT strike an arc near the gas tank. It's best to remove it and place at least 30 feet away. Do no welding at,around or near the battery,disconnected or whatever,remove it. :thumbs:

posted by  lectroid

Maybe someone should define what "near" means. From the sound of that last post, near would be anywhere on the car.

posted by  info2x

Your Message