Dead Car Battery. Am I being fed a line?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Dead Car Battery. Am I being fed a line?

I've been dealing with a dead battery for a 2001 BMW X5 4.4l.

Here are all of the facts. From 2001 to June 2004, I put 6000 miles on the car. The first battery in the car died in Mar 2004.

The battery they put into the car in Mar 2004 is now dead. During that timeframe, I have put 2400 miles on the car. They are telling me because I did not put enough miles on the car, that they are not going to honor the warranty of the battery and that its going to cost about $400 for a new battery.

I KNOW that last number is entirely BS (or hopefully is), unless the new battery is made from solid gold and diamond encrusted. Is the first statement reasonable? I know 2400 in 10 months isn't a lot, but is it reasonable for a new battery to fail after only 10 months with that number of miles on it?

Any help and opinions that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

posted by  Aurorax0

well the battery u can do it ur self. but yea not driving the car enough is actually as bad as using the car too much.

posted by  thongsai

nowadays the minimum life of a battery is 5 years, if you live in certain conditions dusty or moist you can drain a battery dead just by having dirt on the top of it, if your storing the car for a while just pull it out

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

If you can, would you take a pic of this battery and post it here. In my lifetime I have never seen a $400 battery. :doh: Yes,your battery will go dead from a constant drain from clock,computer and so on. You need to keep a charge on the battery or disconnect it. Better to keep a low amp trickle charge on it.Matter of fact, it's probably better to start and drive your car at least once a week.IMO,10-15 miles would be good.Will help seals, rings and tranny stay in shape.

posted by  lectroid

I worked as a battery tech for two years and have to say that the EXPECTED life of a battery is 5 years... if you drive your car once in a while, less if it is driven alot (starting puts massive strain on battery) or hardly at all. As to the $400 dollar tag, imported BMW battery or just a design that is so wild that no one duplicates it for cost reasons.

posted by  srober32

There is no way that the battery can cost 400 bucks, I haven't ever seen a battery at any store for more than 175.

Just go to autozone/checker/pep boys and see if they have a battery for your car. I would suspect a price tag around 120-150 if they carry your battery.

posted by  Zalight

Well, Holly does make a battery for $315 but no listing for this particular model. :ohcrap:

posted by  srober32

hmmm i dunno where you guys live but i list an interstate battery mtp-93 for a 2001 bmw x5 4.4l for 155$ so your battery must be made of gold

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message