CIS air box/ Intake

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  CIS air box/ Intake

Just wantin to know what my options for a cold air/big bore intake would be. It makes it kinda hard with the CIS on the air box. I know about hackin up the air box but ide prefer to lose it all together if possible.

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

Just open up the air box with some nicely cut holes. Haven't we covered this previously? If you just want to look cool, go buy a Civic.

posted by  vwhobo

I know that punching holes in the air box works, but isnt it just takeing more hot air from inside the engine comp.?

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

You'll find it works the same as most of the alleged cold air intakes on the market. If you're feeling especially frisky you can cut out the bottom of the box, rivet on a dryer duct flange, then run a length of dryer duct down the inner fender.

posted by  vwhobo

Allrighty, if it works the same why pay $60+ for fancy pipes and crap.

Thx again man

posted by  84_Jetta_GLi

Mr Hobo is right, most all of the so called "cool air intakes" don't get the pipe far enough away from the engine heat to do a damn bit of good, but hell they look cool, maybe that is what they are refering to when they say "cool air intake". Do what he said and get the air from somewhere other then around the hot radiator or the hot ground, the wheel well is a good spot, below the light is a good spot, the vent in the cowl is a good spot. Just open the hood and do some thinking, I bet you could come up with a pretty "cool" idea.

posted by  MrBMW

Hey,

Well, I'm going to preface this with saying that I know pretty much nothing about intakes, but i had a couple of questions:

How does the intake system avoid getting water, i.e. when driving through heavy rain or hitting a puddle, etc. Wouldn't adding a lower intake with PVC or ABS tubing increase this risk dramitcally?

posted by  digital_shad0w

Yes but... Gravity keeps water from traveling up. Unless you completely submerge the intake opening it will continue to pull air instead of the heavier water.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message