tims

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  tims

1988 buick lesabre 3800eng code c startsvery good cold but after its warm it takes 5-8 secs of cranking time to start but when running it runs great. it also seems to be dumping a small amount of fuel into the crankcase HELP1

posted by  tims

You mean there's fuel getting into the oil pan? Do a compression test, something wrong with one of your cylinders, Piston ring or scuffed walls.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

good idea but would,nt this be more of a problem at start up? their is only a small amount as if it is temporarily flooding.items checked or replaced fuel filter,egr,maf sensor,cps,plugs,wires,air filter,coil&module

posted by  tims

Yes, it should be more of a problem at start-up, so i'm not positive, I'd have to see it for myself. But, the piston rings are supposed to make a tight seal to the wall, and if the fuel is getting into the pan, then that means they aren't making the seal they are supposed to. Pretty odd that it would start easier cold than warm.

Were the plugs black?
Does it burn any oil?

I'd suggest doing a compression test before replacing anything, Old 3800's are easy to get at the plugs on.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

fires up instantly at say -20c plugswere stark white then changed them now an off white lightbrown at 215000kms no significant oil loss. the car sat@ 1 year before i got it. could it be a vacum problem of some sort?

posted by  tims

Hmmm.. Don't know of a vaccum leak on the 3800 motor that'd cause it to start cold and not warm, usually you can hear a vaccum leak, can you hear one?

Do you mean the plug was WHITE or was it the normal silver colour, because white is a bad thing. White means coolant's getting into the cylinder. Come to think of it, if they're white, that could very well be the problem, presure builds up when it gets warm, meaning more coolant would be getting into the cylinder.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

the ceramic core is off white light brown the metal parts are't white if thats what your thinking. the reason i asked about vac is inside the air intake where the maf sensor is there seems to be alot of carbon lining the walls.no vac leak sound but could it be the vac canister has a leak as it has a steel line back to the fuel tank?

posted by  tims

The colour of the ceramic doesn't matter, only worry about the core of the plug, the part of the plug where the spark is generated is always where you look for discolouration, black means over fueled or oil burning, smell give away which, and white means coolant's burning.

Do you mean the PCV valve on the intake? The hose that goes to the valve cover. That shouldn't matter if that's what it is, it's normal for some build-up to occur. What it does is it recycles un-used fuels back through the engine, so whether that's hooked up or not it shouldn't affect it.

The vaccum canister goes back to the fuel tank? I don't recall that, there should only be two lines that go back to the fuel tank, fuel return and fuel intake. I don't have any 3800 cars lying around anymore so I can't even go take a look to make sure. To be completely honest, I don't even recall seeing a vaccum canister on that motor.

So is there any power loss? From a stop when you push the pedal to the floor it doesn't try and die on you? or if you snap the throttle to the floor and let it up (in park or neutral) it doesn't try and die on you?

I can't see the 02 sensor causing this problem really, but have you taken a look at it?

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

[QUOTE=88GrandPrixSE]The colour of the ceramic doesn't matter, only worry about the core of the plug, the part of the plug where the spark is generated is always where you look for discolouration, black means over fueled or oil burning, smell give away which, and white means coolant's burning.

Do you mean the PCV valve on the intake? The hose that goes to the valve cover. That shouldn't matter if that's what it is, it's normal for some build-up to occur. What it does is it recycles un-used fuels back through the engine, so whether that's hooked up or not it shouldn't affect it.

re:vac can ,i have a can front drivers side nestled against the fender with a steel line running towards the rear and another line hooked to the vac system.theintake issue my pcv is mounted on top of the motor below my air intake. the carbon film is up around the maf sensor where the air intake hose attaches. as for power loss nil. throttle is quick and responsive. thats the problem, when it is running it has more balls than an elephant.
]

posted by  tims

Your Message