98 Ford Taurus Steering Rack

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  98 Ford Taurus Steering Rack

We have a Taurus that is leaking powersteering fluid out into the boots of the rack. We have put a new rack in and after a few 100 miles it has started again. Any thoughts? :banghead:

posted by  HTS23

Are you sure it's the rack? Or are you just finding spots of fluid on your driveway?

posted by  Godlaus

The boots on both side looked like blow fish because they were full of fluid on the first rack. The second rack we just removed had fluid inside the boots and was leaking out of the passanger side boot.

posted by  HTS23

Looks like we stumped the pro's
:doh:

posted by  HTS23

where did you get the rack from?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Auto Parts Warehouse. The only problem is that the factory rack and the new rack are doing the exact same thing. Have not seen anything on the net about problems with the power steering system but do not know much about the Taurus system if maybe the pump has a pressure valve that might have gone out and is over pressurizing the rack?

posted by  HTS23

I guess install another rack and trade the wheels in for a different vehicle I guess is the solution unless anyone else has a thought.

posted by  HTS23

If the power steering pump was having a problem maybe going bad, have any effect on the steering rack? Like blow seals out causing them to leak?

posted by  HTS23

whats the vehicle specs, i'll dig around. year make model eng size auto or stnd anything you can list will help

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

1998 Ford Taurus
Vin#1FAFP52S3WG206632
Automatic Trans
3.0 L V6 24V
91,000 Miles

Thank You
We put another rack in it, and it is now sitting in garage. We might sell it if we can not figure out what is wrong, with out taking it to a shop and spending $500+ on it. Only worth about $4000. hate to dump to much more money in it. The rack only cost $65.00 and they replaced this last one for free.

:banghead:

posted by  HTS23

Your Message