exhaust problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  exhaust problem

im looking to put a new muffler on my 4.7L 2000 Durango, to uncork its sound potential. Im thinking about glass pack, what is yall's preferance, glass pack or flowmaster, which one sounds better? I have dual flow masters on my dad's 1970 Elcamino SS 350, but im not sure if i wont to fork out the $$ for a $350 flowmaster exhaust system if i can chop out my old muffler and weldin a new $25 glass pack myself. advice/input/opinion much appreciated.

posted by  durangoman

go with the glass pack ... but first get it red hot and then put a hose in the glass pack and bust all the baffles out... it will give it a better heavier sound

posted by  LIQ_IS_BAD

You're going to hurt your motor more than do it any good if you modify it.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

thanks for the advice, but how exactly do you bust out the baffels, iknow what you are talking about, but i dont get how you do it, thanks

posted by  durangoman

First off, you won't hurt anything by installing an aftermarket muffler. Second...don't waste your time with the glasspack idea, you might as well have no muffler at all. You can measure your existing muffler and find a flowmaster to fit your needs, all without breaking the bank and still having a muffler...instead of a hollowed out glasspack :screwy:

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Ever heard of an O2 sensor? Didn't think so.

You CANNOT get any more performance out of any vehicle on the market by modifying the exhaust (Fuel injected vehicles anyway) unless you modify the computer. Vehicles are made to perform best with what they have, if you change that, you're just going to hurt your power, making the fuel mixture more rich, lessening your power and decreasing fuel miliage. They all rely on back-pressure.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

You really don't know as much as you think you do...improving exhaust flow via cat-back systems or aftermarket mufflers will improve performance and mpg....with no mods to the ecm. Look at the new Hemi Ram for example...full exhaust frees up almost 25 ponies to the wheels...and that's all through a factory ECM that's designed to pull timing and cut off fuel supply if the VSS and engine speed don't match up to the factory perameters...(read, wheelspin). Politely said, stop before you further embarass yourself...you must have been improperly informed.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

durangos have single exhaust with 2and1/2 inch pipes, with a single cat

posted by  durangoman

If you can weld a muffler in yourself...go with a flowmaster or dynomax to get a deep throaty sound. All you will need is a 2.5" muffler and perhaps some extension pipes which are readily available at most parts stores.

-Don

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Your Message