pathfinder wont start after jump starting someone

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  pathfinder wont start after jump starting someone

I jump started my other car with my 95 nissan pathfinder (it was running) i THEN MADE A HUGE MISTAKE AND DISCONNECTED BOTH THE POS AND NEG TERMINALS OFF THE SECOND CAR AND THEY TOUCHED zAAAPPPPP. When i whent to the pathfinder it was not running and I tried to start but it appears i have no spark. I immidiettly thought that i blew the distributer diode but it appears I dont have one this function is fullfilled within the ECU which I am unable to locate in the vehicle and do not know how to test ( I hate to R&R on a hunch ) can anyone give any sugge :cussing:stions>

posted by  jkprebola

That's why you always disconnect the positive off both cars first (Yes, the positive, not the negative, the negative can still ground itself if it's touching anything) then disconnect the negatives so something like this can't happen.

It definately won't be anything along the lines of creating a spark. It is possible to cause thousands of dollars of damage to cars by doing something like that, there may be a fuse under the hood blown, get a test light and test all the fuses, hopefully it only blew a fuse.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

DUDE, You got it BACKWARDS.

It's as follows
1. make sure the vehicles don't touch and All accessories are off,both cars
2. connect POS+ of good batt to POS+ of discharged batt
3. connect GND- of good batt to a loaction on jumped vehicle a frame/bracket, a little away from the jumped batt itself. Little spark aroun battery can cause big BOOM,bad burns and lose of eyesight.
4. REMOVE 3,2,1. exactly in reverse order, as you put them on

posted by  lectroid

No I don't actually, the reason behind removing the negative first on batteries is because you have less of a chance of getting shocked, with booster cables, it's pretty much impossible to get jolted unless you're an idiot and hold the metal part between the batt and booster.

A ground cable can ground to the body, the motor or anything metal on the car it touches, so if you take the neg. terminal off the booster, and drop it on the motor or frame or what-not, it's still passing current. Remove the positive, it has nothing to ground so it's not passing any current.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

nevermind

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Okie Dokie :doh:
One more time :banghead:

It's as follows
3. connect GND- of good batt to a loaction on jumped vehicle a frame/bracket, a little away from the jumped batt itself. Little spark aroun battery can cause big BOOM,bad burns and lose of eyesight.

posted by  lectroid

hahaha, not when boosting a car. Connecting a battery and boosting them are two different things. Same concept when changing an Alternator, you don't remove the negative terminal, you remove the positive becuase it will still pass current if you don't. Believe me, I've seen a car actually fry because somebody didn't follow procedure. This winter actually, on an older Acura (serves the jap junk right anyway). Totaled the car. $4000 damage.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

:laughing: :laughing:
NEVER remove a battery, disconnect alternator or starter(or anything else) without disconnecting THE GROUND TERMINAL FIRST. :screwy: Make sure you know which is the POS+ and GND-

posted by  lectroid

or the brits like to say EARTH :hi:

Is that like the exact same difference? :hi: :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

sure..... :ohcrap:

You don't have to disconnect the ground at all when removing a starter, or alt. Just disconnect the positive terminal, waste of time to disconnect the ground. You don't even have to disconnect anything if you don't hack away at the live wires.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

NEVER remove a battery, disconnect alternator or starter(or anything else) without disconnecting THE GROUND TERMINAL FIRST. Make sure you know which is the POS+ and GND-[EARTH MATES]

Jump Starting
It's as follows

You can spew all you want, but don't give information that can possible get a person hurt or killed.Much less, harm their vehicle. :evil:

posted by  lectroid

way to rememberis NEGATIVE CABLE -ON LAST OFF FIRST if you only use the posotive you get a greater voltage spike, and like lectroid in his wisdom says batteries explode and it aint cool

Your Message