97 ford taurus brights problem, they won't turn off!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  97 ford taurus brights problem, they won't turn off!

As of late the brights on my car have been acting up. One day while driving I noticed my brights came on out of no where. No flick of the switch or anything. I tried flicking the switch back and forth without any luck, they still stay on. Oddly enough the brights only stay on when my headlights aren't on. When I turn my headlights on, the brights turn off, and I can flick them on or off. So this means that at all times either my brights or headlights are on.

The biggest problem for me here is that the only thing I can think of doing at the moment is to pull the plug on the battery when it's not in use so that the brights don't drain the battery. I really don't want to have to pay a lot of money to fix something that doesn't effect the performance of the car. However, it is extremely annoying.

posted by  havachip

It doesn't turn the high-beams off when the key's out? That's not normal. Normally your lights have to be on for your highs to work. Could be the switch itself.

Why not just take out the fuse if you don't want your brights to stay on, or take out the high-beam bulbs since you probably never use them anyway.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Remove headlight switch and check for melted connector, many problems with these the dealer has replacement plugs and wiring for this problem, if it is not melted your problem lies in the multifuntion switch(turn signal switch) replace it!

posted by  Rhino77_99

I tried pulling out the fuse, and that didn't work. So I took out the switch, and tested it with another switch, and that also didn't make a difference. Pulled out the panel with my headlight switch and that also didn't make a difference. Only thing that I can assume is that there's a grounded wire somewhere in the car. I decided to just go ahead and snip the wires to the highbeams. The brights aren't on now obviously, but the indicator light remains on. Hopefully that's not using enough juice to run the battery after not being in use for a very long time.

posted by  havachip

Your Message