Brake rotor removal issues...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Brake rotor removal issues...

Alright, I've done this before with my Alero, a couple times.... I am changing the pads and rotor on my driver side front and have the caliper assembly removed and am now stuck. I cannot get the rotor removed, let alone to even budge, other than turning in circles of course. Anyways I drive a 95 Firebird, and am curious if I am missing something, because I don't see any caliper mounting brackets or anything else connected to the rotor, other than the lugs and the center. Any help is appreciated. Also I've done the stupid thing already and tried a few hard 'taps' with a hammer. Am I missing something?

posted by  Flame Roller

Assuming, you have removed the center nut, you'll have to rent or borrow a 3 jaw hub/wheel puller.

posted by  lectroid

I am not sure what you mean by the center nut, the object in the center of the rotor? And if that is what you mean, how would one go about removing it if it is a nut? I don't have any wrench that size I don't think, and not enough of it hangs outside of the rotor to turn with a hand....I am not sure my car applies to the center nut, but maybe I am just an even bigger idiot than I'd though, thanks for the help lectroid, getting me one step closer to solving the issue, and perhaps becoming a better informed car enthusiast. So any more help is appreciated. My Haynes manual does not do this procedure justice apparently.

posted by  Flame Roller

I hope you can take this in helpful way. You need to have someone show/teach or even have at least a specific flow through diagram of the procedure. Everyones life,(and the people around you) that ride in your car depends on those brakes. Why were you taking the rotors off anyway?

posted by  lectroid

Well I'd been driving my car since April, checked the pads, and they were fine.. I heard a faint squeeling a couple months ago, but the pads were good when I checked them then also. So I kept driving, squeek went away. Then the grinding, and I knew what that meant. So I checked, and yup, my rotor on my driver side front is torn on the face inside under the wheel well. So I am in the process of changing the rotor/ pads. And I truthfully don't need a person walking me through the process, since as I said I've done it on my Alero a couple times (but that ended up being a wheel bearing issue.) I just need an idea of what I could be missing on this particular car since it is my first time at it on my firebird.

posted by  Flame Roller

Did you personally replace the wheel bearings ?

posted by  lectroid

nope, didn't really have that chance, the car was grinding along, not even backing up down a slope without giving it gas... so yeah I hit the nearest place, was the olds dealership in town... 530 bucks... ouch. Anyhew I continued the hammer method tonight on my rotor, and finally got her loose, and popped the new one on lickety split. What a hassle it can be sometimes, no?

posted by  Flame Roller

I'll bet I go looking for a new hammer tomorrow. :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

Your Message