sqeeky breaks.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  sqeeky breaks.

HI, I have sqeeky breaks they mostly sqeek in the rain or snow or damp weather. It is a mercury mestique it is 8 years old. If you have any idea of what it is please help thanks.

posted by  Fgreco

I know brakes will squeak went dusty but not sure as to your situation. I am at a loss with squeaky brakes as mine do constantly ....I have replaced all parts on all 4 wheels...mine stop squeaking when I use them only...front tire constantly squeaks, and has excessive brake dust...several shops and no idea why :banghead: Any suggestions?

posted by  Fastrac

that is amazing because my front tires have a great amount of break dust also and they tend to not sqeek when I use them also. That is wierd that no shop can figure out the problem. I will bring my car in the shop here in New Jersey if they find out anything Ill fill you in. thanks for responding.

posted by  Fgreco

Thanks, I would appreciate hearing what you find out...seems shops in my area have no clue??

posted by  Fastrac

I've done a lot of brakes in the past. Sometimes shim sets come with the replacement pads. THey assist in reducing the squuking noises. Also not a bad idea to use some Disc Brake quiet spray when you are reassempling them.
This ususally works. I have never had problems with brake dust unless I have used cheap pads.

Good Luck!
Big Dan

posted by  Big Dan

hi, brake squeek from first few application in a humid/damp weather area is due to a mild form of rust on the rotor. if after a few applications and still squeel, brake pads glazed, no sealant on shims on back of brake pad, or lots of dust. new style pad out now called thermo quiet, this might also help. if lots of dust, wait until brakes cold, (not freezing) shoot down with garden hose.

posted by  doug wong

hey are these break pads expensive to have done by a mechanic because I have no experience with breaks. Just give me an estimate for 4 break pads you know for the all the tires. thanks.;

posted by  Fgreco

whatever you do don't cheap out on pads or you will always have these problems get the best quality money can buy.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

purchased my thermo quiet brake pads for 49.00+tax for front only. need to call your mech to find out what he charges for r & r. quiet is good

posted by  doug wong

thanks everyone for giving me advice wich I will use.

posted by  Fgreco

I have a question I pretty sure I have disc breaks but, dont disc brakes have drums. Or are they two different seperate break "systems" lol I am lost for words. See my grandfather had a 91' ford torus and he said he had to pay 400$ because a pebble got into the breaks and dug its way into the drum. Thanks for anyones input.

posted by  Fgreco

Some cars have disks on the front and drums on the back, some have disks on the front and back, and some older cars have drums on the front and back.

posted by  srober32

Thanks for explaining srober32.

posted by  Fgreco

Your Message