92 Ford Taurus - overheating problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  92 Ford Taurus - overheating problem

I have a 92 ford taurus. About 6-7 months back the car started heating. The mechanic said there was a major leak in the radiator, so I got it replaced. Was working fine until last week, when I suddenly saw the temperature gauge at the edge of the NORMAL range towards the hotter side. I pulled over to checked the coolant level, I was out of it. So, I added coolant, filled it up completely. After about 2 days, my car again started overheating. So I went to the mechanic. They did a pressure test and discovered a major leak from the Water Pump. So, I got the Water Pump replaced. After about 2 days, the same thing started happening again. I called up the mechanic and he said that he had seen a leak in some metal tube that joins the water-pump to the radiator (not sure - something to do with the heater). He had applied silicone to seal it, but looks like it did not work. According to the mechaninc, this tube needs to be ordered from the Ford dealership. Does anyone have any clue how much would this tube cost, and what exactly is it called ?

posted by  ssakhuja

Get rid of the Taurus man, I had one and as soon as one thing went wrong something else went wrong. I have mine sitting on a lot trying to be sold and I bought a Honda.

Lee Pham

posted by  leepham

it's probably the solid heater core tube, and if it's the one that i think it is you have to buy the complete assembly.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

what engine does it have in it? a/c or not?

Finally, a question that I can answer because I own a 90 taurus. The mechanic osunds like He's ripping you off, but is likely a hose leak. What engine is it? The hoses are difficult to replace, and the water pump is almost impossible to get at. The hose itself costs around 80-90 bucks.

posted by  Godlaus

I think you got me wrong. The Water Pump has already been replaced.
It is a 3.8 litre V-6 engine.

The car has otherwise been great.....I cannot blame Ford Taurus's for this problem. It is most probably due to old age.

posted by  ssakhuja

well the guy who put silicone on it shouldn't have done that. it's not proffesional. and yeah it's probably age, and you need a new hose/pipe or complete assembly. i dunno how much though... ask your parts guys

i think a 30 dollar pressure test can easily find your leak.

posted by  thongsai

Hi All, Thanks for you replies. I talked to the mechanic at Mieneke. He said that the dealer can get the tube in 2 days, and that it would cost me $96.00 + labor charges.

So, I guess...I have no choice but to get it fixed (I really depend on my car for a lot of things) But, one thing is for sure, I am going to start shopping around tomorrow for cars.

Thanks once again!

posted by  ssakhuja

I think that the mechanic that replaced the waterpump on your car is not realy a mechanic and is what we call a bolt turner. I would bitch to the owner of that shop and ask him why I wasn't told about the other leak and why this idiot did a repair I did not authorize and make them repair it for free and then report them to the state.

posted by  srober32

HAHAH give yer head a shake boy.

Your Message