87 nissan sentra fuel filter where the heck is it?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  87 nissan sentra fuel filter where the heck is it?

Hi,
I posted in another area guess I should have posted here...where is the fuel filter in a 1987 nissan sentra? I searched online for a diagram but no luck...
I'm hoping that my little car will be happy with a new one..
Thanks,
Cate :driving:

posted by  Cate

just a guess, if your looking at the engine from the front of your car, find where you put brake fluid in and move left slowly you'll see a big canister(carbon canister) and a little more left near the firewall you'll see the filter, follow the gas lines to the carb or whatever it has and the filter should be hooked inline with those lines.... did any of that make sense?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Actually I found it, and I got it off too although I had a little trouble getting those tight hoses off. When I took it off, what leaked out was reddish and rusty looking...but definitely smelled like gas so I know I took the right thing off. It's no wonder my car couldn't go...I'm trying to find someone to pick me up a new one tonight so I'll have it to put on tomorrow..I'm not a very good walker I'm afraid... :ohcrap:

posted by  Cate

Thank you..... :wink2:

posted by  Cate

When I put it on is there anything sepcial that I need to do after I re-connect the hoses, like pour gas in the carburator, I'm wondering because won't the new filter be dry?
My car quit, just plain quit, 3 weeks ago. We were having extreme cold weather at the time. I had it towed home, and since then, it will start, but quits again after only a few seconds. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on, but the carburator is dry. Before this all happened, my car worked fine, but I had ran out of gas three days prior. :cussing:
Does this sound like a fuel filter problem please say yes :confused:
I guess we'll know tomorrow...
Thanks,

posted by  Cate

Sounds like you need to clean the fuel tank as well, what with the rust build-up in the filter. At the very least you should get some "fuel system cleaner" in the tank to help clean out the gunk. :thumbs:

posted by  srober32

What kind of fuel system cleaner would that be...like in a can or a bottle??? Canadian tire will have this??
Thanks,

posted by  Cate

my only suggestion would be fill the tank right full, make sure the clamps on the filter are tight, gas leaks really aren't cool, the filter might be directional so watch for that, and you shouldn't have to prime the carb with gas, just turn the key on and off a bunch of times so the pump builds pressure. good luck.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Gummout makes a realy good fuel system cleaner that cleans varnish off the injectors or out of the carb, eliminates water in the tank and basically cleans the whole system. Yes it does come in a bottle and is readily available at all auto supply stores. Make sure that you get "fuel system cleaner" and not fuel injector cleaner, carb cleaner or gas line dryer. Filling up the tank is a very good idea as well as making sure the hoses are tight. The only problem I forsee is possibly having to repace the filter again soon because of rust from the tank being picked up by the pump and sent through the lines to the filter clogging it again.

posted by  srober32

:cussing:
I put the new fuel filter on this morning. It started after a few tries, and died after a few seconds, and the next time I tried it, it started and I revved it up..it only quit after I let up on the gas which was about 2 minutes... :banghead: but that was the longest I've had it going since it quit three weeks ago.
I took the round cover off where I though the carburator was, which now I don't think it is actually a carburator... :doh: In that hole there looks to be some dust and small particles of dirt. I have managed to get it started a few times since but can't keep it going and I think my battery is feeling my pain :ohcrap: .
Are the dust particles any issue and other than fuel system cleanser is there anything that I can do as I can't get that on sunday...any ideas?
Thanks,

posted by  Cate

I'm going to go with one probable cause that I have assumed. Stuck float(s).

posted by  DodgeRida67

:asshake:
OMG you guys won't believe this I hardly do myself!!!! I fixed my car myself!! My car started this afternoon after sitting for two hours(the battery went dead from over-exertion)!!! It's now purring like a little kitten!!! I'm so happy :banana: and so is she!!
Thanks so much for your help!

posted by  Cate

Your Message