97 plymouth breeze breakdown

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  97 plymouth breeze breakdown

my brother was driving my car and while getting off the highway my car just stalled. after towing it back home he declaired that it was the timing belt that went bad. my boyfriend told me it should still turn over even if it busted. and it wont. my brother thinks hes aaa mechanic and in tearing appart my engine he found that the spark plugs were oil soaked. i was wondering if this is normal or not, and if i could fix it myself. any help would be greatly appreciated

posted by  lelu13_1999

oh its a 2.0 liter engine

posted by  lelu13_1999

It is possible that the timing belt broke, but that sounds like the least of your problems. If the engine does not turn at all there is more than likely some part of the car siezed up. First off, take off the accessory belts and make sure that all the accessories turn freely. If they all do then you need to look into the engine and check to see if the camshaft if frozen or if the crank shaft is locked. I would also check the radiator with a pressure tester because if there is oil in the cylinders you may have a bad head gasket.

posted by  srober32

Hey I have the same problem only my car still runs. The 3rd spark plug is soaked in oil while the rest are fine. While driving if I give the car too much gas it starts sputtering like the power that is supposed to be there isnt. Also because of this power loss it sputters almost constantly when trying to accelerate past 55 mph. I asked Advance Auto for advice and they said that they are pretty sure it is my valve cover gasket (we suspect the seal for plug 3 is leaking which causes plug 3 to misfire resulting in the lack of power). I then went to my local Dodge, ex-Plymouth dealer to get a professional opinion but the smacktards wont give me advice without a $75 diagnostic. This is how I am treated even after they had to replace an engine AND a transmission for us during this wretched cars life. Here's the kicker, Advance Auto ran their diagnostic on it for free and it didnt return any codes. What I would like from you fine people is opinions on whether or not this really is a problem caused by a faulty valve cover gasket. I would really appreciate it since a diagnostic is $75 and the gasket is only $32. If its not asking too much I am requesting prompt responses as I am working on it now and its my dads only car since his other one was wrongly repoed. Thank you very much in advance.

posted by  OmniJackal

PS. My car is also a 1997 Breeze with the 2.0 Neon engine and only has 103000 miles on it. Sad huh.

posted by  OmniJackal

i have seen were the timing belt lets go and get caught in the crankshaft and oil pump area locking the engine from turning over but with that said you could try turning over the motor at the front pulley bolt

posted by  osborste

Ah but like I said, other than sputtering when I want to accelerate quicker the car has no obvious signs of trouble. The timing belt being faulty or slipping wouldnt cause oil to leak into plug 3's housing would it?

posted by  OmniJackal

what about leaking spark plug tube seal

posted by  osborste

Manners Manners Jackel, get your own damn thread i think this one was for Lelu so please go start your own thread with your own problem lelu it sounds like you may have more than one problem, you have to address the problem of the engine not turning over first of all, then find out the basics, spark?fuel?compression? if it is a 2.oL SOHC engine and you broke the timing belt, now i might be wrong but im almost 99% positive that you have whats called an interference motor which basically means if the belt is off and you crank it over you will more than likely bend the valves in the head, i think it's new motor time for you unless your aaa mechanic brother can rebuild heads and do the complete motor rebuild get a used motor, and yup now im 100% sure it is an interferance motor and now it wont turn over because the piston is hitting a valve,sorry but it's probably done. so for anyone else out there that tells me to go **** myself when i tell you HAVE to replace your timing belt and you think im "TRYING TO SCAM YOU" here is a perfect example of preventative maintenance, your belt should have been replaced every60,000-100,000 mi depending on what model it is(in the 2.0L engine specific)

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

I agree Banff, on all accounts. Those belts get so brittle that they literally disintegrate after about 80,000 mi or so.

posted by  srober32

Manners? Excuse me but this thread was dead in February without any definitive answer for her. I felt that if anything you guys could help the both of us. Yer a damn Nazi.

posted by  OmniJackal

oh and its Jackal. Spell my damn name right you scamming asshole. Then go **** yourself. Ive already got the information I need by a much more helpful and considerate person than you.

posted by  OmniJackal

It would still turn-over even if it is an interferance motor. That doesn't affect its ability to turn over, it'll just slam the valves, but still turn-over.

This is exactly why timing chains should be used.

Well since you're being such a dick Jack, I'm not willing to help you.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

whoa back up choda boy, my bad, i think your specific problem needs to be dealt with individually, and not on the tail end of someone elses thread or else it gets confusing, don't be a little cry baby bitch, you'll still get your milk and cookies

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

quote it'll just slam the valves but still turn over
timing belt or chain it still hits the valves(ENGINE DAMAGE)
even my manual 95to98 chrysler and dodge tells you not to turn the motor over with timing belt removed

posted by  osborste

Much less the fact that if the timing belt is broken that means that the cam is not turning and odds are that at least one of the valves are open, possibly to the point of stopping the motor. Starters are not meant to modify valves, Grandpriks, if the valve is stuck in the piston it will not turn over.

posted by  srober32

Really? Are you sure? Then riddle me these Batman.

1. If the engine is running and the t-belt breaks on an interference engine, the cam stops, the crank keeps rotating for a while and valves bend. If the valves are already bent, what's stopping the engine from turning?

2. If cranking over the engine with the starter won't cause the pistons to hit and bend the valves, why is it that about 3.5% (we keep great records) of my valve jobs are created by people who take good running engines, install a new t-belt incorrectly and then bang the valves?

The answers are obvious but I want to see you tap dance.

posted by  vwhobo

Nope, no tap dancing here, but it seems that you missed my point. Read the last line of my post again.

posted by  srober32

very few of the status breeze had the 132 hp neon engine.most were the 2.4 l dohc.150 hp.
if the valves bent and damaged the valve seals,there could be oil on the plugs.it is an interference engine.since neons are so famous for fried head gaskets,you probably have that problem too.take the head off and check for damage before turning it over .good ol chrysler quality,the timing belt is done at 96000 km

posted by  the lobster

1- My problem is fixed. I replaced the valve cover gasket its fine.
2- The only reason you stupidasses are posting here is because of me. THIS THREAD DIED IN FEB.
3- Get a ****ing life. You can act big online. Congratulations pussy.

posted by  OmniJackal

why did you bring up an old post then if you knew what the problem was.
not acting big here just helping out the people with real car trouble and want real advice.
got a life making money doing it to .

posted by  osborste

I can fix this - thread closed

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message