Battery Problem new batt dead within 1day

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Battery Problem new batt dead within 1day

Well i got a 94clio with 101 on the clock and when i purchased it the battery was new and it was okay for two weeks then the battery light started to flash whilst i was driving then around week later it died on me, so i replaced the battery with a brand new battery then it worked for one day and the same problem it then just died what could cause this problem? is it a cirucit problem?

thank you

posted by  Stack Bundles

Check obvious things like slipping alternator belt, 13.6 - 13.8 volts on the battery while engine running, loose wires on the battery lugs/posts, corrosssion on the inside of the battery lugs. Unless you are up to speed with electrics you next port of call is an auto electrician.

posted by  Wally

I'd say the best bet is an alternator problem. They can 'suck the juice out of a battery' really fast if they aren't performing how they are supposed to. A new alternator generally runs around 100 bucks if you bring your old one in ( saving the core charge.) And many places give lifetime warranties with these also.

posted by  Flame Roller

autozone checks alternators for free :thumbs:

posted by  sierrawolfe929r

Get your alternator checked out. If it isnt that something is draining that battery.

If your ride is 'pimped' at all with any electric devices make sure they are wired against the ignition / battery. I've known so many idiots trying to get the most out of their amplifiers and stuff to hit them direct to the battery without doing the ignition / off wiring.

Not calling you an idiot but check any of that. Then after that...yeah as suggested find you someone who knows electric systems cuz that problem is a tuff one. No easy answers.

posted by  Blue_Frog

Thanks, ill just have to sell it not worth the hassle at all

posted by  Stack Bundles

I have never worked on any car that it took more than say an hour to get off an alternator. Really that is your most likely culprit. You could probably keep the car and save yourself the expense and 'surprises' that come with any used vehicle by simply getting it checked out.

But hey different strokes for different folks. I sure wouldnt give up a car over what may be a very simple problem.

posted by  Blue_Frog

haven't worked on many toyota's have you blu frog :wink2:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Hmmmm a couple...late 80's Celicas and Camrys owned by other people. One MR2 I bought cheap meaning to restore that I dinged into a pole and just didnt have time for after that.

I'll agree...yeah they are tight to work with BUT in all respect I dont think they would be nothing compared to the 94 Tempo I just got that I had fits with the belt on. There really wasnt even enuff clearance on that to get the belt over the crankshaft without twisting it sideways. As I finally got the damn thing on I examined the alternator and AC and stuff and thought DAMN at all the chit I'd have to move to get there. Still though its a solid engine and I guess I would do it if that was all that was wrong wiff it.

posted by  Blue_Frog

It's very possible you just got aa bad battery. It happens all the time believe it or not. You should take the battery back to where you got it and have it tested and if it's bad they should hand you another.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message