89 Camry TIming Belt

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  89 Camry TIming Belt

Recently my car wouldn't start. We did some minor work to it and it still wouldn't start so. We came to the conclusion that it was a timing belt slip. I called my mechanic told him what I thought it was and he agreed thats what it might be so I had it towed to him. The next day they called me and told me it just needed a major tune-up. New caps, coils, rotors, sparks, etc. Now today they are calling me saying that what they did didn't work and they took all the parts off and they think it's a timing belt slip. (what I had already suggested!) Now he wants to take the timing belt off look at the front end and put a new timing belt on. THe thing is he did the same exact procedure on the same car December 5th, 2003! That was only 14 months ago. It was warrantied for 12 months and it seems pretty convenient the same thing happens a little over a year later. I know he's gonna wanna charge me $500. Am I getting ripped off? Because I feel like I am!

posted by  SCMancini83

Go to another garage, get a 2nd opinion if u ain`t comfortable with this guy. Can`t remember if ur tempo has an auto tensioner or not on the belt, if so, a good idea to have that changed at the same time as the belt... :thumbs:

posted by  Carcass

Thats the thing about this industry if you dont trust your mechanic find a new one, people that walk into my shop with that attitude i tell them straight up if you don;t think you can trust me then you have every right to take your car elsewhere.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Okay BanffAutoSpa_ap, I didnt have an attitude with anyone. I was just concerned is all and I wanted some advice. This guy is usually very nice and understanding and he caught me off guard. I'm sorry if I offended you.

He talked to my husband more in depth about the situation and it made sense. He agrees that a timing belt should last more than a year (at least 100,000 miles and something else is causing the timing belt to go bad and he thinks it the tensioner. The way he explained it to me just didn't sound right and it had me a little peeved but all is well now. :clap:

posted by  SCMancini83

you have a tensioner on it but it is not a hydraulic tensioner, which means if the belt slipped he installed somethin wrong, ive been working on toyotas for over 2 years and have never had a belt slip on me, they can only slip if there is something that was installed wrong

posted by  jnemeth

toyota charge 250 to do a belt and its good for 100000 km.there is still another 60000 margin after that.the water pump should be changed as well,its 60 bucks and only 1/2 hour labor more.ever look at a toyota timing belt?those teeth do not slip ,that is for people that do not know any different.unless of course you got in an accident where the engine stopped suddenly,the inertia could do it.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message