Doing routine work on '98 Accord LX L4

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Doing routine work on '98 Accord LX L4

Can someone help me out real quick, please.

First, does anyone know the size of the oil drain plug? It's bigger than my 5/8" and smaller than my 11/16" sockets, so I have to buy a new one.

Secondly, what do you do when the park plugs are oil fouled? That seems to be one of the things you should inspect, I just never encountered it before. Do I proceed to change the plugs as normal before investigating what's causing the oil in there?

posted by  JaneiR36

It's a honda,,,,metric :doh: Oil fouled plugs? replace plugs, then rings,30 minute job :laughing: if your'e in a hurry, take it to helpmequick auto service :2cents:

posted by  lectroid

So what's the actual metric size? 17mm? 21mm?? 16? As for the oil in the plugs, you don't think that's an emergency or anything?

posted by  JaneiR36

I bought 16 and 17mm because those are the metric sizes in between 5/8" and 11/16". The Advance Auto lady understands that I'll be returning the one I don't use.

posted by  JaneiR36

Turns out the engine was drowning in oil because somebody told mi Madre that there was no oil in it. So she just kind of bought 3 quarts of oil and put 'em in :doh: I actually had to make two trips to the auto store just to dump the oil because I didn't have enough empty bottles on location! Oil filter definitely did not get changed either, because it's so difficult to access, and daylight was gone. Maybe next time :banghead:

posted by  JaneiR36

Oil change got you down? :laughing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Advice on changing the filter.....

NO MATTER HOW APPEALING IT LOOKS DO NOT NOT NOT REPLACE IT WITH A FRAM 'SURE GRIP' FILTER!!! THEY ARE PAINS IN THE ARSE NO MATTER HOW EASY THEY ARE TO GET TO!!!!

I dunno whos genius idea it was to put 1/16 of an inch of rubber on the top of a frigging filter but DUH add 1/16 inch to the filter and NO STANDARD TOOL FITS.

I hope the idiot who thot that up burns in hell :fu:

I have had to deal with the friggin things 4 times in less than 3 months and I HATE THEM :banghead:

posted by  Blue_Frog

The worst ever! :doh:

I may have inadvertently put some water into the oil, as in water from the bottom of a mountain dew bottle. The bottle was empty, but apparently, not dry. Currently there's tons of white smoke coming from the exhaust AND the bottom of the engine. Please read some more details here:

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7354

....and let me know what you think. Will the water boil out of the engine, or should I drain it and replace the oil right away?

posted by  JaneiR36

Alright. I've headed over there.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message