removing starter 89 caprice

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  removing starter 89 caprice

:screwy: I have an 1989 caprice classic brougham with the 5.0 305 700r4 tranny. My starter went out and i need to replace it. I already have the starter disconnected from the wires and the block, I just cannot figure out how to get it out. on the bottom the exhaust is in the way, on the side the suspension/a-arm is in the way, and on the top of course the cylinder head/valve cover are in the way. if anyone could help me on removing it so that i can put the new one in it will be appreciated. :banghead:

posted by  youngwood

Sometimes there is bracket on the front of the starter and that may be what is holding you up. Remove the bracket completely, and then slide the starter toward the front of the car until the nose cone clears the tranny, then lower the nose and follow with the rest of the starter. :thumbs:

posted by  srober32

Sometimes there is bracket on the front of the starter and that may be what is holding you up. Remove the bracket completely, and then slide the starter toward the front of the car until the nose cone clears the tranny, then lower the nose and follow with the rest of the starter.

:::Yeah I have already removed the two main bolts and the bracket completely, and i have it to where the nose cone clears the tranny but i just can't get it out. I am getting ready to go out and try a while more and see what i can't figure out.

posted by  youngwood

I figured it out. It was a brace on the lower a-arm and the frame that had to come out and that gave enough clearance to remove the starter. I got the new one in and it starts right up. thanx anyway. :thumbs:

posted by  youngwood

Your Message