Problems with my 2000 Chevy Tracker

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Problems with my 2000 Chevy Tracker

My tracker has 80000 miles on it. Have taken great care of it. Have had to replace belts at least 5 times since owning it because they would sqeek loudly.
Month ago, took car in because air was blowing hot and we were moving to Florida. So, my mechanic said we needed an aircompressor and a new starter. Got me a used compressor and all cost totalled $900.
Get to florida, squecking continues and air shuts on and off. Go to mechanic here. He said belts are fine, need a head gasket and he could not do that at his shop. Went to another shop he recommended and he tells me I need a new head gasket?
Does this sound right? Is this expensive as I think it will be. Car is paid off in 2 months. Should I dump it? I am broke right now. Thanks for input

posted by  JulieAnn

mechanic called and said it will cost me $1000 for gasket and timing thing? I don't remember what he said about that. Something about a cover in front.
I told him to wait. and i would think it over tonight.

posted by  JulieAnn

The head gasket being blown or worn could cause overheating or excessive heat under the hood making the belt slip over things like your ac and water pump n such once it got hot and losened up. That would be your squeaking problem. It also could be making the belt slip over things like your ac and water pump making the problem seem like things were shutting on and off.

I think its a pretty good assesment of the problem. It might not be it but I dare say if two mechanics both pointed out the same thing its a pretty sure bet.

Dont dump the car...I had a 1997 metro that I put almost 120k miles on and never had a lick of trouble. Wish I had never sold it.

posted by  Blue_Frog

Thanks. I am sure your right. Appreciate it.

posted by  JulieAnn

No problem...and about the timing. He's probably not charging all that much for that, most of what he's charging for is making sure you get a good job done on the head gasket and machining the heads if needed. Checking the timing is just a good idea if the belt has been slipping.

posted by  Blue_Frog

Your Message