1992 Pontiac Grand Prix intermediate firing challenge

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1992 Pontiac Grand Prix intermediate firing challenge

:banghead:
Hello Fine Folks,
I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1 with an intermediate firing problem. After approximately 15 minutes it may stop firing when driving. However if you park it and switch it off it will not fire. Wait about 15 minutes and it will fire and start. I have replace the control module and checked the three individual coils. They all read 5.5 approximately the same as a new one when cold.
I am open to any and all suggestions.
Thank you for your time and Have a Great Day!.
Monty

posted by  olmesandwatson

did you check your spark plugs and spark plug wires before replacing all that other stuff.

posted by  carlos

Yes and I replaced the plugs and wires.
Thanks for the input!
Monty :thumbs:

I am having the same sort of problem with my 1993 grand am with a 3.3 motor in it so any input u get please share with me!!!!

Shikara

posted by  Shikara

Not a problem . Will Do!
Monty

Check your codes. a possible cause (for both Shikara and olmesandwatson) may be a bad crankshaft position sensor or wiring between the sensor, the ignition module or bad wiring between the ignition module and the ECM. This usually manifests itself with code 19

posted by  tbaxleyjr

:thumbs:
Thanks for the input. I will check this today!
Monty

All i get on my codes is a code 43!

shikara

posted by  Shikara

code 43 is the electronic spark control circuit so yeah whatever the guy above me said is probably true, crankshaft position sensor or the wires or the ignition module.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

OK THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR WAS CHANGED ON MY CAR TODAY, THE IGN MODULE HAS BEEN CHANGED 3 TIMES IN A MONTH, AND THE SPARK PLUG WIRES AND PLUGS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY IGNITION (THE ICKBACK SPRING IS BROKEN AND WHEN YOU START THE CAR YOU HAVE TO MOVE THEE KEY BACK INSTEAD OF IT JUMPING BACK BY ITSELF) COULD THAT BE MY PROBLEM?

posted by  Shikara

are you putting in ignition modules from a junkyard or?.......

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Nope all the modules have been brand new!

posted by  Shikara

try changing the ignition swith, if it does not kick back it can be the problem.

posted by  renchman

Your Message