Help I need advice.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Help I need advice.

HI, Iam frank I took my car in today to a diagnostic center for a check engine light. they say it is a boken bolt in the manifold. Now a guy I know said that it would leak oil and make a noise . My car is silent I mean real silent and drives great. They say it is thousands of dollars. The codes they came up with are; op153/po420/p1151/po174

If anyone can comput those codes for me and tell me if this place I brought my car to is telling me the truth. I am only 19 and really dont have money for another car. thanks.

posted by  Fgreco

Get another opinion.

Not to my knowledge will "a broken manifold bolt" trigger a code. I admit, I am only an intermediate car guy, but I highly doubt they are telling you the whole truth.

What kind of car (year make and model) do you have? How many miles? Have you had work done on it recently?

Good Luck!

Tom

posted by  supertom

Hi and thanks for writing I have a mercury mistique and it is a 1997 I only have 68,000 miles. I had an oil change and tire rotation. I did have a new water pump put in at least 8 months ago. as far as I know that is the only work it needed.

posted by  Fgreco

broken manifold bolt could cause some codes(vacum leak) but it sounds to me like they're triyng to rip you off. how did they come to this conclusion did they do further diagnosis or did they tell you this just by reading the codes

posted by  carlos

the codes you can google, try to find the a car thats at least the same make and year as yours. manufacturers usually keep the same codes for all models and rarely change them for different years.

posted by  carlos

Well, I dont know that they drove the car and then hooked it up . I am not sure if they hooked it up to the scanner and then drove it and hooked it up again. WEll, they told me just by reading the codes that is what it seemed they didnt go and check the manifold isnt it in the engine.

ps I try looking up the codes in google but, they dont have any cars they have all crap please tell me if I should put in just the code or for instance type in car code and the code.

posted by  Fgreco

Sorry to double post. well they hooked it up drove it around and put in on a lift. that is all they did I didnt see they actually checking out the car. how much is the broken maifold bult anyway?

posted by  Fgreco

i'll post the code descriptions for you and you can take it from there, and just by hooking the scanner up and not actually testing anything by my standads is not proper diagnostics

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

I totaly agree with you BanffAutoSpa_ap. I think everyone gave me good advice. I want to thank everyone so far who wrote but I can still use more advice please keep it comming. and thanks in advance BanffAutoSpa_ap for posting the code description .

posted by  Fgreco

engine size?

It is a 2.5L v6 engine.

another thing I really dont know what they were doing with the car they took it for a drive and then said lets see what other codes come up I never saw them check under the car . the manafold bolt is under the car isnt it. thanks.

posted by  Fgreco

well those codes lead to long and lengthy diagnotstics but they all tend to lead in the direction of the fuel control system(that doesn't mean you have problems with your gas)it basically means your oxygen sensors reading are outside of the parameters, so it's either getting too much fuel(maybe a misfire) or too little fuel(like an air leak, getting in from a source other than your air intake system) like a leaking manifold or other things, or even a bad 02 sensor, i think what you need now is to find a very good mechanic who knows what he's doing good luck buddy

A broken manifold bolt they say? Thousands of dollars they say? This is a very intresting situation. I'd love to have a chat with them. I'd pay for that one.

Plain and simple, tell them to take this broken manifold bolt they speak of and put it some place nice. :wink2:

Run.

posted by  DodgeRida67

So what your sayin is it will be a lot of money rite?

posted by  Fgreco

basically it needs to be diagnosed properly in order to help you not blow alot of money on crap it may not need, the diagnostics may seem like it costs alot but in the end if done properly you won't be screwed!

as an example we have a basic step 1 engine diagnostics that cost 135$ people always put up a fuss and cry about it, this 135$ covers , scanning for codes, road test and testing any components seperatly, now say for instance it was a misfire code and i found a dead plug wire, no way are we gunna charge full price if it took me 5 minutes to find, we would discount it at least half, but if it takes me an hour or 3 or 4 your still gunna pay only 135$, there is no guessing in this trade, and if i replace a part that i guessed on and doesn't fix his problem then i bloody well pay for it outa my own pocket. if i say he has a bad fuel pump and i install it and it turns out not be the pump then i damn well pay for it. NO GUESSING, like math there is only 1 right answer. so find yourself someone who knows what he's doing.

well thanks a lot. I will take it to my usuall mechanic who I trust enough to test it. I thought diagnostic center was better but, I just dont trust them. I know it will cost another 64$ but, it might be usefull.

posted by  Fgreco

I did some more research and it says that the manifold where the exhust is leaks. My car dont leake. iam waiting for the check engine light to come on agian and I will bring it to my original mechanic. I once had a problem with the water pump but, that is it. Iam really stuped. I dont know anything about cars, my Grandfather tells me it isnt good and I come accross thing that should be happening to the car but, arrent so far that is.

Some of the bolts are like 1/8" some are bigger and they talk about studds maybe that will help you all understand the exact bolt and what Iam talking about.

Thanks for everything and sorry to have two topics with the same subject. Iam just desperate for answers. :screwy:

posted by  Fgreco

It was just a leaking vacume hose.

posted by  Fgreco

an exhaust leak could trigger a code from the 02 sensor,but if it was a major
leak it would be heard.it pays to take weird ones to the dealer,but there are some very good independents too...after all a good visual inspection is rule #1 . the codes are not always right either,because systems are connected.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message