Speedometer and rpm problem on a 1998 Chevy 1500

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Speedometer and rpm problem on a 1998 Chevy 1500

A couple of days ago my speedometer, RPMS and the light that shows what gear it is in on the dash quit working. It works sometimes. But most of the time it doesn't. If you turn the engine off and re-crank it a few times sometimes it comes on. Also when it is off I get a decrease in power. I have tried everything I can think of has anybody had this problem or know how to fix it. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Keith

posted by  kbass3

Chevy mid size, trucks, and sedans are infamous for worn or lose spedometer cables. It took me three weekends of personal work and two mechanics on my exes 1995 cavalier to figure that out and I've had infamous questions from friends ever since.

Bad cable on your spedometer. I'd almost bet money on it. I bet within a week you are cruzing along the highway at 60 or so MPH and all of the sudden the needle goes to zero while you are cruzin right along. Seen it a bunch of times.

posted by  Blue_Frog

do you have any other gauges in your cluster?
sounds like an intermittent power or ground loss to the cluster.

posted by  carlos

i could be wrong but 1998 chevy would probably have an electric speedo signal so carlos is right start looking for electrical problems, check for bad grounds or loose connections

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Thanks for all of your help. I ended taking it to the dealer and they found that it was the ignition switch that was causing it not to work sometimes. I am glad I took it I would have not thought to look there. Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks,
Keith

posted by  kbass3

Your Message