98 Mitsubishi galant ..Transmission issues..need help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  98 Mitsubishi galant ..Transmission issues..need help

Hello everyone,
I own a 98 mitusbishi galant ES..yesterday, as i was driving i noticed that while changing from 1st to 2nd gear it slips for couple of seconds..it is like the car is on neutral..the gear then falls in and it goes on..the rpm is too high..about 3000+ when iam at 40mph..so it looks like the higher gears are just not kicking in..when i drive it on overdrive it is fine and the gears seems to change properly and the rpm is also looking good..
i got it checked and they say i need to get the transmission rebuilt and it would cost 1.5K..i pretty upset because i spent 3K about 8 months back to get my engine replaced..i bought the car from a dealer (ricart) in columbus sep' 2003..and had problems ever after that..
i am just hoping someone can help me out with some suggestions from their expertise or personal experience..
Thanks
R

posted by  cmh123

Can anyone please help me with some suggestion?

posted by  cmh123

Find out their reason for suggesting a rebuild and post it.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Yeah post the reason why they suggest a trans replacement,good idea. Also, verify the trans oil level and note the color. If it has 100 000 miles, get an oil and filter change in ur trans. But check color and level first, keep us posted. :thumbs: :ohcrap:

posted by  Carcass

Ya...this sounds fuggin normal. Slow shift...transition in an older car yeah. WTF would anyone wanna rebuild a trans that was doing less than bottoming out?

You got someone yanking you man. If it drives and is acting funny then it equals 'repairable'. Dont go believing that rebuild shit.

posted by  Blue_Frog

Your Message