Car does not accelerate when cold ~HELP~

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Car does not accelerate when cold ~HELP~

Hello everyone! I own a 1993 GMC Vandura Conversion van. I live in New York where the Temp is often below freezing and I am having major problems. When I start up my van when it is cold out I let it run for about 5 mins. When I take off I can only push the accelerator pedal down about a quarter inch and the van moves. If I press it down any further, the engine bogs down and will not accelerate until I move my foot off the gas pedal. It sounds like the engine stalls but if I take my foot off the pedal, the engine is back to normal with a normal idle. When driving like this I can only reach speeds of about 30 miles an hour until it warms up, about 10 mins. After the van warms up, I can reach speeds of about 50; but If I press the gas pedal all the way down or go up a hill, the engine does the same thing, bogs down and slows down, no matter how warm it is. No check engine light and no error codes. I have replaced the cap and rotor and the air filter. The engine is throttle bodied with 2 injectors which seem to spray a nice spray into the throttle body. The Spark plugs are the 4 pronged platinum plugs and look to be in good shape. I went to an autoparts store and they suggested the map sensor, so I removed it and brought it in for them to test and everything was fine. It looks as though one of the two O2 sensors have been changed. The transmission was just rebuilt a few months ago by the previous owners. I am going on a trip next week so I gotta get this thing fixed!!! I would surely appreciate any info !!!! If I can't figure it out within a few days, I will have to take it in a shop and spend an arm and a leg getting it fixed,.... Thanks again!! :ohcrap:

posted by  ksjosker

Put the car in Park, Gradually accelerate. Does it do the same thing? Have you checked the acceleration link?

posted by  EvilPodAE

Yes, I have put the car in park and it does the same exact thing, bogs down. No I have not tried the acceleration link. What is it and where might I find it? Thanks for the help!!

posted by  ksjosker

I have figured it out... It was a SUPER plugged fuel filter!! Works like a champ now!!! Thanks for the help!!!!!

posted by  ksjosker

Awesome... Yea I gots to replace mine soon to.

posted by  EvilPodAE

a fuel system pressure test woulda shown that.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

True, but isn't it easier to ask a question then do a pressure test??/ I think so!!!!

posted by  ksjosker

Your Message