ARRRG!!!! Still stalling out at idle!!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  ARRRG!!!! Still stalling out at idle!!

1994 Ford Tempo (again)

Decided to make sure that the temp gauge was working and car wasnt over heating so I flushed the entire cooling system (manually...no hose to do a T flush...imagine what a pain that was) and that the head gasket wasnt a little worn by running KW Block seal thru it. Reflushed and added coolant today.

RUNS EVEN BETTER and COOLER (in park / idle at least)

Still though in gear it wants to die when idling in gear. I did notice smoke coming from what looks like an unattached vaccum slot here on the throttle:

http://www.geocities.com/goldfishzero99/upload1.jpg

And wondered what this vaccum hose (if that is indeed what it is) was supposed to be attached to. Anyone know what that is??

Also...never dealt with this before. Can I adjust that pull chain on the throttle? Is that how to increase idle RPM??? (nevermind found the throttle adjuster screw)

Thanks a million for any help.

UPDATE:

I can drive it under 30mph all damn day and it doesnt do the stalling out thing untill I get it over that...go figure. Really any help or ideas appreciated.

AND:

There occasionally are little tendrils of smoke coming out the valve cover...could a bad valve cover gasket be the source of my problems? I wouldnt think so but anyone elses opinion?

posted by  Blue_Frog

I can't tell an engine from a pile of crap from that picture but, a vacuum hose with smoke coming out of it. HMM. If it had vacuum, it would be sucking in air not blowing smoke out. HMM! It's part of your PCV system. Not a vacuum hose. Whatever it is, it needs to be hooked back up like it was. For that job you will need a diagram of the PCV and vacuum system.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Almost forgot, when you get everything hooked up like it should be and still have the trouble, vacuum test.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Smoke was coming from under and around the valve cover. Just couldnt get a good look at it right in that bright Mississippi sun you cracker glad Georgia makes nicer gear head weather :mrgreen: .

Your opinion Dodge.....I mean I am totally bumfuggled here...there are so many sensors and such attached to all the intakes and valve covers on this fugger. Could a bad gasket on my valve cover be doing all this? I'd say hell no on an old engine but I just dont know with all this newfangled shit. :banghead:

posted by  Blue_Frog

Bad valve cover gasket... nope. A faulty PCV system causes by a leak or missing hose... definately. You should get the diagrams and hook the system up right and go from there if that alone won't fix it. Either way, you have two problems. The stalling and the mystery missing hose. Fixing one may fix both.

posted by  DodgeRida67

a 94 tempo is far from newfangled, try a new audi or bmw. thats hightech

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

If I were in a place to have KEPT my new car I wouldnt be working so enthusiastically on an old one :laughing: .

Yet in the same respect if I were EVERYWHERE I wanted to be I'd be restoring an old El Camino....hmmmmm strange how priorities fluctuate.

posted by  Blue_Frog

Your Message