Oil change

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Oil change

Carlos.How do I change an automatic transmission oil? Whatdo I do diffrent to a manual transmission oil?

posted by  CarEXPERT

wut kind of car?

posted by  Blue_Frog

Umm... It's a little different from vehicle to vehicle.

But, remember this... It's called ATF in an auto (automatic transmission fluid) and Gear Oil in manual transmissions. Also, some manual transmissions use ATF and not gear oil.

posted by  DodgeRida67

and some use engine oil, always find out the proper fluid type first though, never assume.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

LUCAS makes me happy either day either way. Interchangable MIRACLE lubricant in my books. :mrgreen:

posted by  Blue_Frog

what kind of lucas do you speak of?

LUCAS auto kick arse chit..... (http://www.lucasoil.com/)

Oh and their trans fluid additive and oil stabilizer are both the same stuff. Its why I said is all interchangable. Want a high perf engine oil? Fugg oil....fill the crankcase with lucas.

posted by  Blue_Frog

remove trans oilp an and replace filter, you need a new gasket. difference is you gotta remove the oil pan almost all the time with Autos, manuals have a plug.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

the car is a honda I4. how do I change the automatic transmission fluid? Do I drain it with the oil pan ? which one.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Leave it the F alone. :smoke:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Agreed unless u r having a specific prob. Its a pain in the ass on any car...specially auto transmissins because you really gotta bleed the lines too.

posted by  Blue_Frog

Ditto X3.

You don't need to bleed the lines Blue-Frog :PP Air won't hurt the trans

But if you insist, there's only 2 oil pans on a car. Engine oil and trans oil, don't remove the one under the motor needless to say. Easy way to tell, Engine oil pan is about 8 or so inches deep, whilst trans oil pans are only an inch or two deep. Trans pan has what are 90% of the time 1/2" (or 13mm) bolts holding it up, remove all of them except 1, just loosen that one (there's probably about 12 or 15 of them in that area.. i've never counted...), pull the pan down and watch out, cause the oil will go every where. Then remove the last bolt and drop it off. Clean it out, scrape the gasket off with a razor blade, glue a new gasket on with weather stripping glue (or contact cement) replace the filter if you're going to, and pop the trans back on.

Yah, if you have no idea how to do anything I explained, don't start, you'll be without a car for awhile if you start and get stuck.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Redline

posted by  Wally

keep in mind this will not flush the torque converter or oil cooler. Some folks disconnect the return line from the cooler to the tranny, start the motor and keep adding fluid in the amounts equal to that being pumped until the fluid changes color to match the new fluid. Then after reconnecting the lines, they drop the pan and change filters and refil with fresh fluid.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

and i think he meant bleed the lines for a proper fluid flush, they have machines that do it very very well now and is alot less hassle, just pay someone for christ sake, if you want it done properly.

close enough - I was also flushing the torque converter since most new ones don't have drain plugs.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Thanks for knowing what I meant Banff...I mean shit if you are gonna flush the system n all do it all right.

==========================================

Shade tree smart when I try and KUDOS 'quotes' when I see smart shit later....hey thats me

I'm still all about this....if your transmission aint blown to the point that it WILL not slip into any gear try LUCAS:

Naw they sadly dont have their tranny fluid online:

LUCAS (http://www.lucasoil.com)

Transmission BOMB....crankcase BOMB...this stuffs sealant / viscosity level ROX

posted by  Blue_Frog

WORD VOMIT

posted by  Blue_Frog

Your Message