137000 miles on a tsi turbo

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  137000 miles on a tsi turbo

Hey. Quick question. What is the average life for a 1997 Eagle Talon Tsi Turbo motor? I have the change to buy a 97 Talon Turbo for $4,000 and the motor has 137,000 miles on it. Is the motor going to quit soon? The body is emmaculate and the interior is really nice. Just the miles. Is this a deal, or a rip-off? How long do these motors last?

posted by  talontsiturbo

In my opinion, they are shit. 137 000 miles or kilometers? If miles, 4 grand is a whole lot more than I'd pay. As for lifespan, depends on the previous owner. Did he beat the shit out of it? did he maintain it? did he do frequent oil cahnges? As for the turbo, the ideal situation is to let the engine idle for at least 1 minute before shutting it off, it permits the turbo to cool down somewhat. The worst thing u can do to a turbo is give a shot o gas and then switch the engine off right away. What this does is it makes the turbo impaler spin at about 15 000 RPM with no oil in it since the engine is turned off. A definite NO-NO. If u wanna buy this car, really have it inspected by a mechanic, but in my opinion, don't touch it , actually, don't even think twice about it. Run away as fast as u can. :thumbs:

posted by  Carcass

Old turbos are full of problems. Turbos spin upwards of 100 000RPM, which causes problems later in its life. The motors usually don't last any longer than 180k miles. 4 grand is way too much.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Yeah that is a bit high, however with dinking around with the car and working on it, you can probably create a car that will last into the mid 200k ... that is if you know what you are doing and previous owners didn't spend every night at the strip tearing the car to pieces, but most certainly do not pay 4 grand for it. Not with that many miles

I also wanted to mention that the 2G talons do tend to last slightly longer engine wise than 1G. Still be sure to check the car out very well, it would be best if you have a friend that knows cars to come along on a test drive.

posted by  Flame Roller

Your Message