Air conditioner and engine power

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Air conditioner and engine power

Hy i live in argentina, and my car is a VW Gol, i am sure noone here knows about this model, but it makes no difference. My car has 82 horse power, and when i start the a/a, the drop in power is noticeable. My question is about how many horse power does the a/a consume? Maybe it depends on each engine, but i think there must be a general rule, or not?
Thanks in advance!

posted by  buble

A/C, not a/a. I would say u lose between 2-3 horses. Not a huge diff, but there is an extra load on the engine. U may have other probs involved.

posted by  Carcass

Close carcass. 3-4 horse on AVERAGE for a car. Most compressors take about 1-1.3 hp for each ton of refrigeration.

3-4 horse is a very noticable loss of power, especially if your car is only making 80 horse, that's about 5 or 6% power loss. It also eats your fuel even more than that, it can lower your fuel economy drastically, up to 15%, that's why it's an option people don't always go with.

Long live the window.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

First off, I've NEVER seen a car with a ton of refigeration (duh, does that make sense to you?) On average it's 2 lbs. And with ur windows down, u cause drag, u think thats more economical? What about the noise? :banghead:

posted by  Carcass

a ton doesn't refer to weight.. here's a definition of it for you.

The cooling capacity of older refrigeration units is often indicated in "tons of refrigeration". A ton of refrigeration represents the heat energy absorbed when a ton (2000lbs.) of ice melts during a 24-hour day. The ice assumed to be solid as 32 degrees F. (0 degrees C.) initially and becomes water at 32 degrees F. (0 degrees C.). The energy absorbed by the ice is the latent heat of ice times the total weight.

(And most cars hold about 4lbs :P)

The drag of a window is indeed more economical, noise is all good, don't bother me, i like fresh air more than the cooled, dry air anyway.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

thanks to both of you :D

posted by  buble

2-60 airconditioning is the way to go 2 windows down 60 miles an hour.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message