Brake pad Replacement

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Brake pad Replacement

Hello everyone,

I just replaced my brake pads on my 1995 Plymouth Neon Sport (4 wheel disc brakes).

It was the first time I replaced brake pads, so I have some questions on wether I did it right.

My problem is that I think the brakes are not releasing off of the rotor enough. On the front brakes I don't think there is a problem. If I raise the front tires the the wheels spin with little resistance.
However, on the rear brakes, if I raise the tires of the ground, and try to spin the wheels I get quite a bit of resistance of the brakes. I'm not sure if this is a normal part of the break in, or if I did something incorectly. There really isn't a mechanism which causes the caliper's to open if their isn't any hydraulic pressure applied to them, is there?
I also applied grease to the brake abuntments and made sure that the caliper bolts were greased sufficiently, so I don't think that is the problem.

So I am wondering if this resistance is normal or wether the rest of you think there is a problem.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Ben

posted by  pyro70

Possible parking brake cable to tight and needs a little adjustment.

posted by  DodgeRida67

some rear disc calipers have an adjustment bolt for the park brake. i dunno how your's would be but a few of em i've seen you have to take the brake hose off and inside the caliper is an allen head screw that will preset the piston distance, better find out where the adjustment is on yours

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Because of what Banff said is exactly why I wont do brakes. What SHOULD be a very simple maint job always turns out to be a lot of tinkering and fine tuning because the brake system seems to adjust itself for the old pads n stuff.

Banff is probably right and my guess is after you have to tinker with adjusting it once you'll be like me and say 'HELL NAW' to doing your own or anyone elses brake work again.

posted by  Blue_Frog

It's probably a floating caliper (since it's got rear discs, if I understood correctly), check the bushings, they may be stiff or seized.

If it has rear drum brakes, the adjuster needs to be reset.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Yes the rear brakes have a single piston, floating caliper with a "shoe in drum" (or something like that, I forget what its called) parking brake. It's not the parking brake, I've adjusted that, and I can tell where the resistance is coming from (the brake pads).

So what I gather from the responses is that there is definately something wrong. Is it not normal for there to be some resistance during a "break in" period?

Thanks.
Ben

posted by  pyro70

No, not normal.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Okay, I think I know where I went wrong. I didn't use a brake cleaner to clean the calipers or caliper guides. So all the rust is keeping the assembly from moving freely. Does this sound like the likely culprit? If so, any suggestions on a good brake cleaner that will get rid of all the rust?

posted by  pyro70

Possible.

posted by  DodgeRida67

whenever your doing disc brakes you have to clean the guides really really well, just take a few minutes to see where the caliper does slide, and polish that up, use some brake lube(sparringly.. contaminating your new pads will suck)and the pins inside the caliperalso slide back and forth, so make sure they move freelyanother desing of caliper ive seen you actually have to spin the piston inside the bore to preset the parking brake. but yours is probably drum in hat style. how much resistance is there exactly?it should spin freely you might hear the pad material drag on the rotor a bit but any resistance is probably not right

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message