Moisture problem?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Moisture problem?

I have a 1997 Plymouth Breeze and get quite a bit of moisture in the trunk. I am afraid this will damage my amp and subs I have in the back. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

posted by  griffinstud78

check the seals along the trunk. very drain canals along the trunk, make sure there is no debris. lift up carpet if necessary and check to see if trunk is rotted. keep us posted. :2cents:

posted by  Carcass

that's verify drain canals, sorry, typo. :banghead:

posted by  Carcass

i checked the seals, drain canals, and inside of the trunk and could find nothing wrong with them. I was thinking about leaving the trunk open inside my garage to see if i could get some of the moisture out. Is this a good idea??

posted by  griffinstud78

check the car from the underside. what year is it? better yet where do you live? you might have a hole forming under the car and allowing water to seep into the car when you drive in the rain. only thing i could think of.

posted by  Low Impedance

its a 1997 and has never been garaged. I live in st louis missouri so corrison shouldnt be to much of a problem.

posted by  griffinstud78

If it's only moisture, not a puddle forming or anything like that, it's fine, you shouldn't worry, I have 3 amps, a cap and 5 subs in my trunk and it leaks a decent amount, probably 1/8 cup of water after a wand wash, never had any problems. Water isn't a good conductor, so it won't hurt anything.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

True, water is not a good conductor of electricity, however it does cause problems with electronics such as corrosion that could, worst case, cause your car to burn up and then your amp and speakers would be a moot point. If you have a dry garage leave the trunk open to dry it out... might be condensation off the trunk lid, and then check it in a few days of being out of the garage. If it is wet again check into the window seal and make sure that the trunk seal is tight. I know you said it was ok but checking again won't hurt.

posted by  srober32

You might like to coat your boot seals with some talcum powder. After a few days check to see if there is a section where the white powder has been washed away.

For my money I would suspect a rear lamp seal or cracked lens. My second choice would be a window seal.

posted by  Wally

That's what fuses are for :thumbs:

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Fuses are there to prevent electical components from burning up and causing damage, not as a repair for negligence. If you head off the problem before it happens then you needn't worry about it. :banghead:

posted by  srober32

Excellent advice, Wally! :thumbs:

posted by  srober32

Your Message