Digital Dash Flickers and Car Won't Start

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Digital Dash Flickers and Car Won't Start

I am having problems with my 1987 Nissan Maxima (3 litre, V6, automatic). For the past couple of months I have noticed the digital dash would periodically flicker on and off. The other night it flickered off completely and the car engine died and then would not turn over at all (I ended up having to get the car towed). When the digital dash flickered off the stereo no longer worked but, I still had power for my headlights, signal lights, hazards, and power windows. Now when I try to start the car, the digital dash lights up but the car will still not start. Please help, any suggestions as to what the problem might be would be appreciated!

posted by  eightball15

might want to check all fuses ussualy the dash and inside of the car all has its own fuse box inside the car, change the fuse then check for a stripped wire that is grounding out somewhere. the flickering could of been from a wire touching it would make things flicker cause the elec. would no longer get to where is was meant to go instead ground out in the car and would blow a fuse is it got a good ground contact.if you have changed anything and remember you might want to look into that also you might be drawing to much power out of a fuse and its flickering because its not getting the power it needs to run and would sooner or later try to draw enough to blow a fuse. there are alot of diffrent things that might be going on but id check for grounds or overdrawing the fuse that all that stuff is on first.

posted by  rage141414

Thank you for your response. I have checked all the fuses and they all seem to be working. I boosted the car last night and that worked (the car started) however, when I removed the booster cables from the battery, the car stalled again. Any ideas what the problem could be given this new information would be greatly appreciated.

posted by  eightball15

is your alternator charging the battery?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

The headlights were still on and the power windows worked, so, obviously. Once you get a car going it takes almost no power at all to keep it going. One of my co-workers alternators died on the way home from the race track, he was 75 miles away when that happened, and he made it back. So it would drain the battery slowly, but fully. Therefore, headlights, powerwindows... nothing would work.

Check relays/fuses under the hood. The fuses in the car won't do anything to make your vehicle not run.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

"is your alternator charging the battery?"

just because the lights and accessories word doesn't mean the battery has enough charge to turn over a 100 amp starter. especially since we don't know how bright or how fast these lights/windows are functioning.

need more info bud, is the starter clicking, is it cranking slowly, etc.

posted by  carls47807

It died while he/she was driving, so it wouldn't have the power to run especially the windows.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

It may have died from some other cause. I'm just saying make sure you have a fully charged battery to crank that thing over. It does wonders for any vehicle. I've seen many vehicles with shitted out fuel pumps start when given a jump (increased amperage keeps those electrical motors fighting).

posted by  carls47807

Got car started after charging the battery fully. It seems the battery did not have enough energy to start the car. I have changed the battery connectors (they were dirty and old; figured they were preventing the alternator from charging the battery). Anyways if the alternator is shot, I will find out soon enough. Thanks to everyone for your input.

posted by  eightball15

wow isn't that shocking.... not really

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message