Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

Best Cheap Audio

Sup all,

My name is Steven (everyone calls me Stem). A little while ago i purchased a 95 accord. Thus far ive just fixed it up, back into good shape, now it looks almost stock. However now ive finished making it 'normal' i want to supe it up. And first and to me, most importantly is the audio. I've heard it all, but I want some good decent audio, i mean the whole system. For decks i heard Panasonic arent that bad. Subs i heard Rockford Fosgate P2's are the best, and and Obden enclousure. However no word on a amplifier, or best to replace the stock speakers in the front door and back deck. So if someone could just educate me on what is the best system for a guy on a lower budget. Thanks in advance,

Stem
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

The cheapest system out there would be to sing to yourself, I do it, people give you wierd looks, but hey, let em laughat you in their...cars... with radios and morre than one seat, and interior panneling, and air conditioning.

Damn I need a new car.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
griffinstud78
CF Newbie

pioneer also makes good head units. for speakers id look at infinity reference, powered by an alpine amp. the p2s arent bad for subs either but you could probably find better.
griffinstud78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem
Sup all,

My name is Steven (everyone calls me Stem). A little while ago i purchased a 95 accord. Thus far ive just fixed it up, back into good shape, now it looks almost stock. However now ive finished making it 'normal' i want to supe it up. And first and to me, most importantly is the audio. I've heard it all, but I want some good decent audio, i mean the whole system. For decks i heard Panasonic arent that bad. Subs i heard Rockford Fosgate P2's are the best, and and Obden enclousure. However no word on a amplifier, or best to replace the stock speakers in the front door and back deck. So if someone could just educate me on what is the best system for a guy on a lower budget. Thanks in advance,

Stem

RF Punch - Junk
Panasonic HU's - Very good, also look at Alpine, eclipse and Pioneer
Obcon Enclosure
Amp- Hifonics

Get some Volfenhag DVC all aluminums, $50 at ikesound.com. Will out pound and sound better than even the RF Punch Stage 3's and cost half as much.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

Sweet, thanks for that info bro. Im writing it down right now. And ill have all my stuff ordered by the weekend. Once again thank you for the help.

One more question, with me now having all the information for the subs, do you think i should get some tweeters or replace the stock speaker system in there, you know the front door panel and the back deck? 'Cause i dont want a crapload of bass with no mid and treble to back it up.

Last edited by Stem : 03-10-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:02 AM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Sweet, thanks for that info bro. Im writing it down right now. And ill have all my stuff ordered by the weekend. Once again thank you for the help.

One more question, with me now having all the information for the subs, do you think i should get some tweeters or replace the stock speaker system in there, you know the front door panel and the back deck? 'Cause i dont want a crapload of bass with no mid and treble to back it up.
Usually it's better to replace stock speakers and HU before adding a mono amp and sub simply due to the fact you'll drown out all the weak mids and high from the weak stock system with the new sub setup. So it would be a good idea. Give me your budget for replacing the four speakers and adding an amp to power them.

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

Hmm.... budget for the whole enchilada would probably be somewhere round 500-700 dollar range. Mas o Menos
Old 03-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Hmm.... budget for the whole enchilada would probably be somewhere round 500-700 dollar range. Mas o Menos

You cant buy a full setup (HU, amps, subs, speakers) for 700 or under. You could, but wow, that's really going to sound shitty. The subs/amp/box combo alone is going to cost $450. A good HU (with 4v-5v pre-outs and other goodies) will cost you $250-$300. A set of four good co-axial speakers will run you $120-$140 and an amp to drive them will be another $120-$150.

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Get some Volfenhag DVC all aluminums, $50 at ikesound.com. Will out pound and sound better than even the RF Punch Stage 3's and cost half as much.

Do you know what they sound like if they're backwards mounted? (Cone facing in, magnet out) With the design of my trunk I was limited to how big I could make the boxes so they're 1cf max a piece, so I want to get the most out of them, and they don't have a half bad looking magnet.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:56 AM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Do you know what they sound like if they're backwards mounted? (Cone facing in, magnet out) With the design of my trunk I was limited to how big I could make the boxes so they're 1cf max a piece, so I want to get the most out of them, and they don't have a half bad looking magnet.

I never heard them backwards mounted...never did like that principle in the first place, so cant help you there. They are the best sound subs in their pricerange I've EVER heard and I'd like to hear any sub from ANYWHERE (not used) less than $100 that can pound as hard and be as clean as the Volf DVC.

~Blow your mind~

Old 04-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #11
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

hey thundur that link isn't working for me, what make and model is it, so i can look for it. i dunno the page wont load

edit - is this any good? http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13256

2nd edit- where do u find obcon enclosures?

Last edited by Stem : 04-18-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
hey thundur that link isn't working for me, what make and model is it, so i can look for it. i dunno the page wont load

edit - is this any good? http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13256

2nd edit- where do u find obcon enclosures?

Okay, it's been a while and I dont know what link you're looking for, so elaborate on that.

That JVC head is, bleh to me.... It only has 2v pre-outs and JVC is just a pretty non-standout brand with HU's. I'd suggest this one over it (only $30 more) http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14898 .

Obcon Enclosures can be found at www.sounddomain.com

~Blow your mind~

Old 05-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #13
FordFromHell351
Banned

Rockford Fsgate punch subs are great, I have some in my Mustang. As for amps, MTX Thunder amps are great. I use a Rockford Fosgate MP3/CD deck as well, and it has unbelieveable clarity.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #14
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

@thunder: he may have trouble stuffing a 4.5" into those holes...some really only do hold the 3.5"...

as for cosmetics, if theyre going in dash, then that really doesnt matter much, does it?

about amps: I would recommend alpine, kicker, or audison, most definitely the audison. although rockford does make good amps, they really only make good sub amps...
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote