Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
stevebro6510
CF Newbie

Question sub enclosure: Audiophile please

Hi Im Steve. I am looking for what size box I need to build. I have two Eclipse 12s (sw6123dvc)s to be exact. I am going to build a sealed box. I usually run my 12s in 1.1 sq ft encloseres. The manual doesn't like to be specific, The Eclipse home page doesn't have anything. Where can I find the info I need. Without having to go through my dealer

Last edited by stevebro6510 : 03-21-2005 at 06:10 PM.
stevebro6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
innfeil2003
CF Newbie

i wouldnt do a sealed box...i would do side slot ports w/ the matrix shit inside...if u live around ne car stereo shop they should b able 2 make a custom box...
innfeil2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Sniper1
CF Newbie

what kind of car do you have that could be of some help. but seald is not the best idea. and with out having the right box for the subs the sound would not be to the best quality. so i would just go to your local stereo store and get one made.
Sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:53 AM   #4
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Haha, I like how you people know nothing about stereos yet say sealed is horrid, when, if you ask pretty much any audio installer, they'll tell you sealed is the way to go, takes more power to get the same bass as a ported/bandpass box, but the quality is much worth it. Sealed is the best way and only way to go. And how would the car affect the size of the enclosure? You don't build it to the size of the car.. you build it to spec.

I would suggest building the box between 1.0 and 1.5. I don't know exactly what eclipse calls for, but that's usually around what they call for for a sealed enclosure.

Don't listen to these people telling you to take it to an audio shop and get them to build it, waste of money, build it yourself, it's easy, I've built a few boxes, they've all been perfect. I don't know if you've ever built any before, but make sure to seal the inside edges, and out with silicone, prevent any leaks, and make sure to glue the wood together with good quality wood glue. Happy building.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:56 AM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebro6510
Hi Im Steve. I am looking for what size box I need to build. I have two Eclipse 12s (sw6123dvc)s to be exact. I am going to build a sealed box. I usually run my 12s in 1.1 sq ft encloseres. The manual doesn't like to be specific, The Eclipse home page doesn't have anything. Where can I find the info I need. Without having to go through my dealer
Bring the theile specs to your local audio installer and they will tell you whether to go sealed/ported. From what I've seen the more popular box with Eclipse subs has been sealed.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:06 AM   #6
Sniper1
CF Newbie

Wink

srry for the miss leading info but i have never built a box so i wasnt sure if sealed was good or not but from what i heard in the past it wasnt but i guess that person was wrong. but good hunting.
Sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1
srry for the miss leading info but i have never built a box so i wasnt sure if sealed was good or not but from what i heard in the past it wasnt but i guess that person was wrong. but good hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1
I have no earthly clue what the problem is with your car. I don't even know how to spell electrical but still claim to know something about it. The only reason I typed this post is in hopes that someone more ignorant than me will read it and think I'm smart.
I think I see a pattern here.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote