Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2005, 02:09 AM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

What is the best engine made

Hey, just asking for all of your opinions on what each of you think is/was the BEST engine ever made? (foreign or domestic) Thanx for your time and i'd love to see some of your opinions.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:37 AM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Well, depends on the era. To me, the most advanced for its time would definately be the 426. By now'a'days standards, the 426 is nothing special, technology wise that is. I'd say one of the most advanced motors in a production vehicle that doesn't cost $50000+ would be the DOD (Displacement on Demand) engines GM is putting in their new GP's. That's arguable though, some could say that the engine from a TDI Jetta is just as good becuase it's diesel and it gets 1000km to a tank. It's just prefference when it comes down to it.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

That is very vague and open. Do you base your answer on absolute performance? Power? Efficiency? Innovation?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:35 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Well, depends on the era. To me, the most advanced for its time would definately be the 426. By now'a'days standards, the 426 is nothing special, technology wise that is.
Advanced? The 426 Hemi, while a great engine, was introduced in 1964. The hemi head was designed in the late '30's/early '40 for WWII aircraft and had been in production in one form or another ever since. Why would you say that engine design that was 25ish years old was advanced. Oh yeah.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 AM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Advanced? The 426 Hemi, while a great engine, was introduced in 1964. The hemi head was designed in the late '30's/early '40 for WWII aircraft and had been in production in one form or another ever since. Why would you say that engine design that was 25ish years old was advanced. Oh yeah.

Because it was finally made effective.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:11 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Because it was finally made effective.
In a word, bullshit. The hemispherical combustion chamber had been effective for 20 plus years. Don't tap dance, just pay attention and learn.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
In a word, bullshit. The hemispherical combustion chamber had been effective for 20 plus years. Don't tap dance, just pay attention and learn.

I know it had been, was introduced in 1951 with a 331ci that made 180hp and 320ft-lbs. That's good power for 50's, sure.

426's hp wasn't so impressive, it's the torque that beast produced. 490ft-lbs to be exact. No STREET hemi even came close to touching that.

Now we're talking production cars, which includes streetable cars. The 392ci hemi made a load of power, sure, but was extremely in-efficient. It made hardly any power at low RPMs it had idle problems and was just a hog, also was designed for Nascar if I remember correctly. The 426 on the other hand made good power throughout the range, economy was increase (somewhat.. haha) and this one was actually made to be driven unlike its predecessors.

That's why I stand by the 426 for its era. Hell, it'll still wallop pretty much anything you put up against it. The engine might weigh more than the average car but that's another story

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 03-23-2005 at 05:55 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
426's hp wasn't so impressive
Yes it was. If you are smart enough to know that the HP figures given were very modest and downplayed. A long, long, long, time ago, Hot Rod magazine had an artical called "Modern Hemi from Chrysler." It states the HP figures given with SAE standards were 550 - 570HP.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
boothe
CF Addict

What exactly about an engine are the differences or specs that make one better than another?
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:31 AM   #10
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Hey, just asking for all of your opinions on what each of you think is/was the BEST engine ever made? (foreign or domestic) Thanx for your time and i'd love to see some of your opinions.
This thread has already been done:
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...avorite+engine

But If you don't feel like Reading an older one, we shall continue.

Mine is the 2JZ-GTTE, mmmm, that engine just screams sexy to me everytime I've ever heard it rev up!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:18 AM   #11
PeteBobJoe
CF Newbie

Hmmmm C6 Corvette LS2...

Reason: I love the Vette...I love the engine...
PeteBobJoe is offline   Reply With Quote