Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Kardon
CF Newbie

Question Newbie questions

I've never had a car with turbo, but I think the next car I get (Sometime this fall) will be a WRX, which is turbocharged. To help me learn about how turbo works, and how to tune it... what should I get?
I was thinking a turbo timer and a boost controller. Would those be good investments to help me learn about how to use and tune turbo?
Should I use 2 settings, one for normal driving and a more agressive one for more gains?

"Once you pop, the fun don't stop"
pfffft..... I wish......
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon
I've never had a car with turbo, but I think the next car I get (Sometime this fall) will be a WRX, which is turbocharged. To help me learn about how turbo works, and how to tune it... what should I get?
I was thinking a turbo timer and a boost controller. Would those be good investments to help me learn about how to use and tune turbo?
Should I use 2 settings, one for normal driving and a more agressive one for more gains?

Maybe you should get into the swing of the scooby now and have your questions answered by a forum(s) that is dedicated to it, like Rexnet or MRT. Granted they are inhabited by 95% boyricers, but yours is a simple query and done to death .
Old 03-28-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

^^ whoa there guy. settle down.

turbo timers are a waste of money because since the invention of water cooled turbos they dont do ANYTHING.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Impedance
^^ whoa there guy. settle down.

turbo timers are a waste of money because since the invention of water cooled turbos they dont do ANYTHING.

AHH.. so is that why you need to put a coolant hose through a turbo? So it cools the oil down righT?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #5
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

doesnt really cool the oil. i might as a side effect but that is not the purpose. it has a water jacket and cools down the turbo like the water jacket in the engine block cools down the cyclinders.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:50 AM   #6
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Impedance
doesnt really cool the oil. i might as a side effect but that is not the purpose. it has a water jacket and cools down the turbo like the water jacket in the engine block cools down the cyclinders.

THen why did you say turbo timers and useless if you have a water cooled turbo? Why would you want to cool down the turbo?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote