Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2003, 01:25 AM   #1
mxsob
CF Newbie

Civic MODS

carbonfiber hood, body kit, etc. how does it affect the safety of the car (i.e. the carbonfiber hood in a head-on collision)? anyone got any good insight?
mxsob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 01:43 AM   #2
Sethro
CF Newbie

If everything is done properly then no it wont affect anything really. A CF hood wont make a difference in a head on impact. Hoods rarely do. Just dont be dumb and streetrace and dont wreck your car and you'll be fine.

www.Cardomain.com/id/rxnoodles
Sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:15 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

There must be some sort of safety standard that the manufacturers of these accesories has to abide by right? So there shouldn't be any problem although you probably wont be doing the vehicle any favours as far as safety goes either, as you are in effect taking away the manufactures product which has been rigerously tested to their standard and the standard of the country and put on an aftermarket product.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:29 PM   #4
mxsob
CF Newbie

i just talked to one of my friends' brother's who does physics and stuff and he told me that a CF hood will tend to snap in the middle and double over in a head on, but that it wont affect the general strength of the body. i'm still wondering about other stuff, though... like body kits, etc. also, if the CF hood shatters, would that be a problem?
mxsob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:38 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsob
i just talked to one of my friends' brother's who does physics and stuff and he told me that a CF hood will tend to snap in the middle and double over in a head on, but that it wont affect the general strength of the body. i'm still wondering about other stuff, though... like body kits, etc. also, if the CF hood shatters, would that be a problem?
The hood isn't a structural component anyway so what it will or will not do is immaterial. All of the items you're asking about are add ons and won't make any difference to the structure or safety of the car.

My greatest concern is why are you so worried about what will happen if you crash the car. I think you're planning for the wrong thing.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:11 PM   #6
theunbelivaBULL
CF Newbie

Carbon fiber though really really strong can be brittle so yes it would probably snap in the middle but like the others have said prior to me it wont matter it is the frame that counts in a head on collision. I have a friend with a Cf hood and i dont give a second thouoght to it... as far as other mods go and there are many they should pose no problem unless your nitrous ignights then you bow your head pray to your god then stick ur head between ur legs and kiss ur ass goodbye... that said i would not worry about after market parts is a good machanic puts them on correctly. dont want things flying off the car at high speeds!
theunbelivaBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:56 AM   #7
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

I think the best mod ive even seen anybody do to a civic, would be selling it. lol :P

You don't "drive" a car, you "wear" it like clothes.

You can't race a house, but you can sleep in a car

R.I.P ~ Betsy (1988-2003)
84_Jetta_GLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
civisi99
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsob
carbonfiber hood, body kit, etc. how does it affect the safety of the car (i.e. the carbonfiber hood in a head-on collision)? anyone got any good insight?

U planning on suicide or something?lol j/p...carbon fiber is one of the strongest materials.....MClaren F1 has Carbon fiber cockpit...just to ensure you.......Body kits or only as strong as they look.....but those arent where your crunch zones would be....
civisi99 is offline   Reply With Quote