Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Random Car Question Thread

*Edit* I'm changing this thread to the Random Car Question Thread, simply because it was insulting to CarExpert, and a thread like this is needed. So, have a random question that doesn't deserve a thread? Ask it here.

Please use this thread!

Last edited by Godlaus : 04-27-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Spitsign
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Okay, carexpert. I've had enough of your interjecting your stupidity into random threads. From now on, if you have a question about cars in general, post it in this thread and ONLY in THIS thread. People will answer it, and it's your own personal gearhead garage.

People, please help to answer his questions, otherwise his questions will end up spreading into other threads.

God forbid he asks a question in a thread that actually is about the same topic as said question..
How does making an entirely new thread REDUCE spam?
Spitsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Very good idea Godlaus! Bring it on CarEXPERT!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
CarEXPERT
Banned

My sister's Acura Integra RS 94' motor overheated but she didnt look at the gauge and kept on running.. Now she said that the engine doesnt go anymore.
What are the possiblilities that could happen when your engine overheats and you keep driving?
Is it possible it doesnt run anymore because the pistons weld onto the cylinder wall?

Her car has about 90000 miles and she bought it from a old lady a few months ago.
She said that there is no more water in the resevor tank.. Could there be a leak and why did the engine overheat??

Give me ALL the possibilities.
Thanks
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
My sister's Acura Integra RS 94' motor overheated but she didnt look at the gauge and kept on running.. Now she said that the engine doesnt go anymore.
What are the possiblilities that could happen when your engine overheats and you keep driving?
Is it possible it doesnt run anymore because the pistons weld onto the cylinder wall?

Her car has about 90000 miles and she bought it from a old lady a few months ago.
She said that there is no more water in the resevor tank.. Could there be a leak and why did the engine overheat??

Give me ALL the possibilities.
Thanks

Possibilities for coolant leak:
-Heater Core hose
-Rad Hose
-Rad leak
-Heater core leak
-Blown gasket
-Water pump

It's possible that the pistons have welded themselves to the cylinder wall. Other possibilities include:

-When it starts to over-heat, the pistons expand and start grabbing the wall scuffing both the pistons and the wall, so compression can't be made anymore.
-When the piston started to bite the wall a rod may have snapped
-Same as above but may have damaged the crank
-Could have warped the heads/cracked the heads

Pretty much anything can break when it starts to over-heat.

When looking at why an engine over-heated, you don't look at the resevoir. You look in the rad, the resevoir doesn't serve any purpose when it comes to cooling. If the rad's dry then you have your reason as to why it over-heated.

Over-heating is caused by a stuck thermostat, bad waterpump or low coolant. (clogged passages can cause it too, though very un-common.)
Old 04-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
CarEXPERT
Banned

My sister said that her friend told her that it was the radiator that is messed up. If you open the rad cap, and the water is low, then does it mean there is a leak.

And the coolant resevor now doesnt have water in it anymore.

I think the head gasket is blown but when it blows, does the water leak off and go down to the block?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote