Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
GrandAmFreak
CF Newbie

Question RB26DETT Swap into 1997 Grand Am?

How do I go about swapping a Skyline engine into my car and make it rear wheel drive?

Do not laugh at what you do not know!

Last edited by GrandAmFreak : 06-27-2005 at 03:16 AM.
GrandAmFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 AM   #2
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

Probably not worth the headache...it's gonna be A SHIZZLOAD of money

You are probably better off selling the Grand Am and getting a 5.0 Mustang w/the money
Old 04-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
carls47807
CF Freak

you go about it buy buying a skyline engine and transmission, putting your grand am on a decent frame (mustang?) and tossing in about 20,000 and thousands of hours in labor, and 150 rolls of welding wire..
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmFreak
How do I go about swapping a Skyline engine into my car and make it rear wheel drive?

The engine will more than likley fit. Fabricated motor mounts and some new wireing. However you'll have more of a problem of converting to RWD. You'll need the 5 or 6-Speed transmission from a Skyline. In order to have the transmission fit, because your car is adapted for the small confines of a transaxle you're more than likley going to need to cut a hole through the firewall and under the center of the dash to allow for fitment of the transmission.

You're also going to need a RWD rear end that will fit under the GrandAm. Preferably one from GM, although other rear ends will work. I'm thinking Camaro or GTO. Any RWD rear end that will fit with a LSD should work. I don't know what the hell this guy is talking about with "putting your Grand Am on a Mustang Fram" as the cars are unibodys. Custom driveshaft to fit the Skyline transmission and the rear end. These are just the basics. Most of your fabrication work will come from mounting the rear end, brackets for the engine, and brackets for the transmission.

It would be alot easier if you have a Manual car to begin with, although you can convert your car from Automatic to Manual as you'll be removing the transmission as well. This would be a highly customized job and if you can't do about 80% of this work yourself or witht he help of people willing to do it for free you're looking at a very pricey job. A Skyline Motor, Tranny, and ECU can be had for a littler over $4500. A rear end can be bought for arround $800-1200 or taken off a salvaged car for alot cheaper. You're going to run into a lot of metal fabrication and your rear end will more than likely need a suspension. Always have some extra money on the side for "unexpectedicies", as I like to call them.

The bulk of the project is going to be the Skyline Motor, Tranny, and ECU. Depending on how cheap you can get the Skyline powerplant will decide on how cheap the project can be.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
carls47807
CF Freak

yes, the cars are unibody.

so when you cut the middle of the firewall out and a huge section out of the center of the car back to where the axle is going to be you are going to lose all the structural integrity of the vehicle. thus making it a necessity to fabricate it to fit a sturdy frame. starting with a manual car to begin with really will not make much of a difference, because the butcher job you are doing will result in cutting most of the floor pans out anyways. the only advantage may be having the clutch pedal, but that would most likely serve useless anyways.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
yes, the cars are unibody.

so when you cut the middle of the firewall out and a huge section out of the center of the car back to where the axle is going to be you are going to lose all the structural integrity of the vehicle. thus making it a necessity to fabricate it to fit a sturdy frame. starting with a manual car to begin with really will not make much of a difference, because the butcher job you are doing will result in cutting most of the floor pans out anyways. the only advantage may be having the clutch pedal, but that would most likely serve useless anyways.

Did you just expect the hole thats cut through the middle to be left open for the world to view? No you fabricate sturdy metal to cover the hole. Kind of how RWD unibodys are made. You surley did'nt think that hump in your Mustangs floor was there for asthetic purposes only now did you?

Nonsense, any less installation of anything will make the job easier. If he allready has a clutch to begin with there won't be any need of installing one, thus making the job easier. A+B+C will always be more work than A+B.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:05 AM   #7
carls47807
CF Freak

Dsmer - "A+B+C will always be more work than A+B."

but what if A is someone like yourself, B is your vehicle, and C is some tid-bit of automotive knowledge. Would C really make more work for you?

Didn't think so skippy.

dsmer - "You surley did'nt think that hump in your Mustangs floor was there for asthetic purposes only now did you? "

and i actually don't own a mustang, sorry.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:18 AM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
Dsmer - "A+B+C will always be more work than A+B."

but what if A is someone like yourself, B is your vehicle, and C is some tid-bit of automotive knowledge. Would C really make more work for you?

Didn't think so skippy.

dsmer - "You surley did'nt think that hump in your Mustangs floor was there for asthetic purposes only now did you? "

and i actually don't own a mustang, sorry.

No matter what way you put it, if you have something extra to do its more work. Regardless to how insignificant the work is. I don't care if the last part of the directions are "scratch your ass", its still more work. If you can't grasp that then you lack more common sense than I originally thought.

No one said you owned a Mustang. I was using it as an example from your previous statements of "using a mustang frame". The same area alloted for the driveshaft in a Mustang can be fabricated on another unibody without the space. How the fuk else did you think it gets there? I'm sure Ford just stole a GM chassis because they were almost as stupid as you and could'nt conclude that by simply molding and welding flat metal they could create a channel for the driveshaft to fit..

OR

Maybe they just were smart enough to say, hey metal bends we can create a channel on our own instead of stealing an entire unibody from another car. Yeah thats the ticket right there. Because not everyone is an idiot like you, people happen to fabricate metal instead of just borrowing entire unibody chassis.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:04 AM   #9
GrandAmFreak
CF Newbie

Cool

I appreciate your feedback on this crazy idea.
GrandAmFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:36 AM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmFreak

Why would you want to put a perfectly good engine like the RB26DETT into your car? From what I've gleened off the net you car is best suited to an old man with a cheese cutter on his head. 280 ponies and 260 ft-lbs may well exceed the car's ability.

It's all academic really, because you probably have to get it engineered and approved first?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:50 AM   #11
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
280 ponies and 260 ft-lbs may well exceed the car's ability.

Suspension & chasis strength/stiffness?
Old 04-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Why would you want to put a perfectly good engine like the RB26DETT into your car? From what I've gleened off the net you car is best suited to an old man with a cheese cutter on his head. 280 ponies and 260 ft-lbs may well exceed the car's ability.

Not even close.

I could easily see this car with 400+ hp:

Quote:
It's all academic really, because you probably have to get it engineered and approved first?

Not here in the states. Have you never seen a hot rod, Wally? Or has your life been too sheltered in engineering school?

My buddy built this mid engine, RWD Civic using an Acura Legend drivetrain, home meade suspension arms, and a lot of hours in his garage:

You think my V8 RX7 was designed to have 400 lb ft of torque in it?
here's another one:

Austin healy Sprite with a 478 cid Chrysler hemi.

Did you see the links to the Durocco, twin engine Scirocco I posted? Built in a garage for arond $1800 total including cost of the car? http://www.durocco.com

How about this CRX?

Built for under $2000 total, including cost of the car?

Wally, for all your knowledge, I'm begining to believe you have very little practical experience, and really havne't been paying attention to what's actually been happening in garages and carports around the world. Hotrodding, Wally. Building something unique out of mundane parts.

http://www.suprang.com/

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
Bino
Written Off

In Aus. and maybe NZ you have to have any modifications inspected by a certified engineer before your vehicle can be officially registered or driven on public roads.

If I were from Aus or NZ I'm sure I would not know any different.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:21 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
In Aus. and maybe NZ you have to have any modifications inspected by a certified engineer before your vehicle can be officially registered or driven on public roads.

If I were from Aus or NZ I'm sure I would not know any different.

Except that we've posted cars like the one above in numerous threads and I Know Wally has been able to see them. I'm a little testy due to his rather insulting posts about what happens in the real world vs his engineering exprertise (which is very thorough). I mean we have a a thread in this forum already about doing a V8 in a Civic, from just a couple weeks ago:

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=10996

Hell, we have a KIT here to put a V8 in a Focus, using bolt in parts, avaialble from Kugel Komponents and even in the Ford performance parts catalog.

And again, even in Auz you have hot rods, and traditional ones at that, like '27 Ford Ts with big block V8s in them. I'm pretty sure that those frames were never designed to handle that power. But guys are doing that in theri garages around the world.

hell, here's one from Aus...

Ok, here's a V8 in a Cavalier. Looks deceptively stock:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 PM   #15
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
hell, here's one from Aus...

[/img]

Point well taken.

That Ford rocks. Talk about a beautiful example of a rat rod.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote