Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
C c C
CF Enthusiast

Jammed spark plug- need help asap

i have an 89 civic hb and i was going to change my spak plugs and ran into a huge problem. in chamber 3 the spark plug was jammed and i put excessive amounts of force only to end up having the spark plug break off. the weird thing is the whole spark plug came out except for the threads. any suggestions on how to get it out? this is my everyday car so i need help so i can get the car running again ASAP
-Thx

Last edited by C c C : 05-13-2005 at 01:36 AM.
C c C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C c C
i have an 89 civic hb and i was going to change my spak plugs and ran into a huge problem. in chamber 3 the spark plug was jammed and i put excessive amounts of force only to end up having the spark plug break off. the weird thing is the whole spark plug came out except for the threads. any suggestions on how to get it out?
-Thx
Oh dear, you might be lucky, but usually this will involve taking the Cylinder Head off and using a 'Tap & Die' set to remove the plug. Given that this is a Japanese engine, I think that's more than likely gonna be the case....Use some WD-40 next time!

Oh, and I'll move this

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
C c C
CF Enthusiast

ugh i was hoping i wouldnt have to do that, is there any way to get around that.. like anything long enough yet tough enough to get it out without taking the cylinder head off?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by C c C
ugh i was hoping i wouldnt have to do that, is there any way to get around that.. like anything long enough yet tough enough to get it out without taking the cylinder head off?

judging from the ugh! i guess you have the head that the plug go straight down throught the valve cover you might remove the valve cover and be able to get closer to the plug hole you said the threaded part of the plug is still in there so you maybe able to use an ez-out(most parts store's sell these just get the right size to fit inside the plugs threaded piece you also may want to soak the threads with a good penetrating oil or use some heat to warm up the threaded piece then use the ez-out if this dont work then its removeing the head for a heli-coil repair you could do this with it on but all the metal shaveings will go into the cylinder and you can't remove this(risk damage to cylinder/rings)

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
C c C
CF Enthusiast

I took off the valve cover and it did not get me any closer.. only like 1/4 in. its a deep hole and the threads are pretty far down.. is an ez-out long enough?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
C c C
CF Enthusiast

also the threads are so tight they are like welded on it seems...took every last bit of strength to break the plug out thats why it seems almost impossible to get the threads out