Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
eclipserider40

Need some opinions

I want some opinions on what to do with my 91 Eclipse. I am debating between either buying an aftermarket turbo for it, or pulling the old DSM 4G63 Non-Turbo in swap for a JDM 4G63 Turbo. What do you think would be the better choice?
Old 01-12-2004, 03:30 AM   #2
spirited driver
CF Newbie

I always believe that if possible, it's better to start with a motor that's turboed from the factory. In these cases, the pistons are usually somewhat forged, etc. The internals are usually better suited for the power forced induction brings. I'd definitely go with the turbo motor, although honestly, you can be successful with either. Just remember that with FWD, more power means more wheel spin (obviously the same as RWD. But with torque steer).

-Josh
Old 01-12-2004, 04:21 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited driver
I always believe that if possible, it's better to start with a motor that's turboed from the factory. In these cases, the pistons are usually somewhat forged, etc. The internals are usually better suited for the power forced induction brings. I'd definitely go with the turbo motor, although honestly, you can be successful with either. Just remember that with FWD, more power means more wheel spin (obviously the same as RWD. But with torque steer).

-Josh
Pistons that are "somewhat forged"? 8O What exactly does that mean?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:52 AM   #4
lectroid
0000?

Maybe not seasoned properly and taken off the grill to early. Just a guess
Old 01-12-2004, 05:08 AM   #5
spirited driver
CF Newbie

Non forged, semi forged, forged. Every motor uses a different kind. I don't know what's in a Mistu turbo motor. Nor do I care to find out. Saying they're usually somewhat forged reiterates the fact that while I'm not what's in that specific motor, I'm sure they're probably fully or semi forged. Tools.

-Josh
Old 01-12-2004, 05:10 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Non forged, semi forged, forged. Every motor uses a different kind. I don't know what's in a Mistu turbo motor. Nor do I care to find out. Saying they're usually somewhat forged reiterates the fact that while I'm not what's in that specific motor, I'm sure they're probably fully or semi forged. Tools.

-Josh
Oh, okay. It sounds to me like someone who has no idea what a forged piston is, they just know it's supposed to be good. Got it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-12-2004, 05:35 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Need some opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipserider40
I want some opinions on what to do with my 91 Eclipse. I am debating between either buying an aftermarket turbo for it, or pulling the old DSM 4G63 Non-Turbo in swap for a JDM 4G63 Turbo. What do you think would be the better choice?
I think your best option would be to install the turbo engine. That is assuming you can put your hands on a complete, low mileage unit including the ECM. This saves you from sciencing out powertrain management compatability issues and will probably be much cheaper in the long run.

That being said, i think you should also look at a transaxle swap at the same time. If I'm not mistaked the turbo trans is geared slightly different to take advantage of the turbo engine's powerband.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:47 AM   #8
Heat_Seeker
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:

-Josh
Oh, okay. It sounds to me like someone who has no idea what a forged piston is, they just know it's supposed to be good. Got it.

Jesus Christ hobo. Whatever your major beef with spirited driver is, please just get it out in the open, and stop wasting post space for your pointless arguments.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:47 AM   #9
Heat_Seeker
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:

-Josh

Jesus Christ hobo. Whatever your major beef with spirited driver is, please just get it out in the open, and stop wasting post space for your pointless arguments.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:54 AM   #10
Heat_Seeker
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:

-Josh

Good lord, hobo. Whatever your major beef with spirited driver is, please just get it out in the open, and stop wasting post space for your pointless arguments.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:57 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat_Seeker
Quote:
Quote:

-Josh

Good lord, hobo. Whatever your major beef with spirited driver is, please just get it out in the open, and stop wasting post space for your pointless arguments.
Hey zippy, you don't need to post it three times. You need to read the forums a little closer, he's the one who started with me. If he wants to say stupid things that's fine. If he doesn't like it when he gets called on it that's tough.

By the way, why are you typing this instead of him. Talk about people giving hand jobs. You go boy.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:13 AM   #12
Heat_Seeker
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Josh

Hey zippy, you don't need to post it three times. You need to read the forums a little closer, he's the one who started with me. If he wants to say stupid things that's fine. If he doesn't like it when he gets called on it that's tough.

By the way, why are you typing this instead of him. Talk about people giving hand jobs. You go boy.

Your just an obsessive-compulsive dick who spends way too much time correcting people on every little thing they do, whether it be small typos or misreading a post. It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't an ass when you did these things. I posted it three times because when i clicked submit it said the page could not be displayed, so I tried again. Same thing. I have never had this happen to me before so I didn't think it posted. Then I retyped it and posted again. I also do not fly in the direction of giving hand jobs. I typed it because it's getting extremely annoying. All of the topics that he has posted on have included you raggin' on him for something. Just say what your problem with him is and stop wasting space. (I will too, lol). I saw only one where you sided with him. The Evo topic where you were telling the Australian kid that the STi in America has a 2.5 ltr engine.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #13
lectroid
0000?

Ass off again.............My Mountain Dew is 180 proof
Old 01-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Your just an obsessive-compulsive dick who spends way too much time correcting people on every little thing they do, whether it be small typos or misreading a post. It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't an ass when you did these things. I posted it three times because when i clicked submit it said the page could not be displayed, so I tried again. Same thing. I have never had this happen to me before so I didn't think it posted. Then I retyped it and posted again. I also do not fly in the direction of giving hand jobs. I typed it because it's getting extremely annoying. All of the topics that he has posted on have included you raggin' on him for something. Just say what your problem with him is and stop wasting space. (I will too, lol). I saw only one where you sided with him. The Evo topic where you were telling the Australian kid that the STi in America has a 2.5 ltr engine.
Yo zippy, let's look at this thread for example. He made a statement which made no sense to me, so I asked him to clarify himself. He then began his tap dance, effectively saying "I don't have a clue, work with it". Then I stated my opinion on what he said.

Let's cover some things that have been established previously on this forum.
1. Everyone has a right to type whatever they want. That does not however mean what they say has to be taken seriously.
2. If you're going to speak out on a topic, you should have some knowledge of that topic.
3. If you're not man enough to stand up for yourself, have your bitch do it for you. Nothing personal.

Have a great day.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:45 AM   #15
Heat_Seeker
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Yo zippy, let's look at this thread for example. He made a statement which made no sense to me, so I asked him to clarify himself. He then began his tap dance, effectively saying "I don't have a clue, work with it". Then I stated my opinion on what he said.

Let's cover some things that have been established previously on this forum.
1. Everyone has a right to type whatever they want. That does not however mean what they say has to be taken seriously.
2. If you're going to speak out on a topic, you should have some knowledge of that topic.
3. If you're not man enough to stand up for yourself, have your bitch do it for you. Nothing personal.

Have a great day.

I just don't understand you man. What tap dance was this? What I saw is his answer to your question. It was simple, it had no remarks towards you, and yet you still feel the need to make all the other people in this forum, who don't know much about cars, think he doesn't know what he's talking about. They would think this because they would say, "Wow vwhobo has a lot of posts, he must know stuff." Then they go and believe everything you say. Now don't get me wrong, your knowledge of cars is very extensive, so on that subject they should listen to you. However, when it comes to knowing if other people know stuff about cars, you can't judge them very well. And please, next time, try to use more than one insult if you really want to hurt my feelings.