Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Cars for 'Kids'

What in your opinions are good first/beginner cars for younger people and how much horsepower/torque is too much for someone younger to handle? How many, if any older cars would you recommend for teens to get if thats what they were into?

I myself love older cars and am planning on having a pre-1975 car as my first car cause thats what i've always wanted. I have many different ones i'd take so i cant really say much of it but i was wondering what you guys (and girls) think are too 'powerful' for younger people (i like mostly MOPAR). Would a Charger be considered too big for a beginner?

I'd love to hear any and all of your opinions on cars for teens (old AND new). Thanx.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:33 AM   #2
FordFromHell351
Banned

Teens shouldnt really get a car with 300 HP or over for their first car unless they have been tought how to handle a car with that much power. I, myself got a 1977 Ford Maverick V6 for my first car, I already knew how to handle a car with more than 300hp and quickly converted it to a 289 V8 and built it up.

Unless you know how to handle a car with 300HP or more, I would suggest you getting a car with 250hp or lower. Something like a Dodge Dart with a slant six engine. They last forever and are a good beginner car. Maybe a car with a smaller V8 like a Mustang with a 289 V8.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Of course, you've really got to think about the pound to horsepower ratio too. A 4000 lb car with a 250 hp engine wouldn't be that difficult to handle, but a 2500 lb car with same engine would be significantly more difficult. So there's no real threshold for saying "this is too much". It all depends on the drivetrain and weight that goes with it.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

I Think a really good first car would be something like the Scion TC. I know, I alwasy bashed the TC for Being underpowered, sloppy and what not, but that is from the point of view of somebody who wants pure performance.

In all actuality the TC is an example of a great first car, a little fast, gets good gas mileage, acttractive. Its perfect for a teeenager.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I would recommend that if you are going to get a fast powerful car, go to Skip/Barber driving school, also for a car why not a Factory Five, Cobra replica. They give you the parts, and you assemble them, they go for about 20 Grand, or so I understood.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

You are pretty close to where i live but i have never heard of Skip/Barber driving school? I like the Cobra replicas but its a little expensive. I dont really have money to buy a car yet, i'm just wanting to know what is good and what isn't for teen drivers. I'm more into the older cars and would love to have a fast car also but the power isnt needed so i can do without. I am hoping to buy a project car (pre-1975) sometime this summer and work on it with my dad. The older Darts (was mentioned before) are pretty cool and i do like them but i'd rather even a small block V8 over a 6 cylinder.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I have not seen a Skip/Barber School anywhere, but I've read about them in Road & Track, and Car Hacks and Mods For Dummies, but I'm not sure where they are either. I'll tell you if I find one.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

I think it is just Skip Barber Racing School (no /), here is their site: http://www.skipbarber.com/. They seem to be at every major racing circuit. Daytona, Lime Rock, Laguna Seca, Sebring, Road America, etc. This looks like what you would want: http://www.skipbarber.com/drivingsch...fault.asp?sel=. It is a good idea to give the new driver education, but I think that the only way to really learn is by doing so on city streets. (The Skip Barber School sounds cool though)

I have a Toyota Camry and I think it is the perfect first car.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Nothing more than 180 horsepower and good safety ratings while making it cheap because they will find a way to wreak it. My choice would be an integra, 240sx, altima, golf, jetta, sentra, and stuff around those lines
Old 05-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
I think it is just Skip Barber Racing School (no /), here is their site: http://www.skipbarber.com/. They seem to be at every major racing circuit. Daytona, Lime Rock, Laguna Seca, Sebring, Road America, etc. This looks like what you would want: http://www.skipbarber.com/drivingsch...fault.asp?sel=. It is a good idea to give the new driver education, but I think that the only way to really learn is by doing so on city streets. (The Skip Barber School sounds cool though)
Ya, those courses do sound pretty cool, especially the driving of a Viper but its a little costly and its only in the States is it not? I know i already want to try and do anything possible to make my insurance lower (ie. taking drivers ed 'Young Drivers' or something like that, and w/e other little things to help lower it a bit).

Old 05-18-2005, 11:29 PM   #11
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Hope u know what you may be getting into but if you have help from your dad then go for it
Old 05-18-2005, 11:33 PM   #12
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Haha i have NO IDEA what i could be getting into to be honest. I may have a feeling but i dont really know. I do know that it very well could (and probably will be) costly to work on an older car, and that it is time consuming but it would be worth it in the end. My dad knows what he's doing (when its older cars) and so i shouldnt have TOO many major problems except for maybe money. Probably abort to import if all goes wrong . I'd rather a rear wheel drive if theres good rear wheel imports (if i go that route).

Old 05-18-2005, 11:36 PM   #13
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I don't know a lot of cheap ones except 240sx's, 300zx's and of course the nsx but there are a lot more i know of but not on my mind right now
Old 05-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Haha, well i like the 240sx but mostly only the newer ones, i think 1994 and up(?) And also the car doesnt HAVE to be rear wheel drive cause i know most newer cars (domestic or import) are front wheel so its no big deal really.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #15
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I hate the body style of the newer ones I like the old ones that look like an old 80's 300zx like a 91 240