Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Anohaakten
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 23
Best Bang For The Buck Car!

What is the best bang! for the buck car? In my personal opinion, I choose the Subaru WRX, because basically, you are getting 227 horsepower, and have an awesome 0-60 time and you can get one used at the 11K-15K range which is darn good.
So guys, if you could, post what you think is the best bang for the buck car, In your opinion of course.


Thx, Anohaakten
Anohaakten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak
 
Satty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 2,865
Where the hell did you find a WRX for that price? Around here they're all 18G-26G. STis are around 30......
__________________
My cars:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.
 
hondaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Somewhere in Alabama
Posts: 1,432
Does it have to be new?
__________________
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore
 
StiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Where the hell did you find a WRX for that price? Around here they're all 18G-26G. STis are around 30......
He is talking about used ones. I would go with the WRX.
__________________
John

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
Ghost
CF Newbie
 
Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Westbank, BC. Canada
Posts: 29
I'd go with the Eclipse. You can buy a good one used for around 5G, and they come with over 200hp...so its all good
__________________
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
Anohaakten
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 23
Try, www.autotrader.com, it is very easy to find them where I am from. I live in michigan and have found many on autotrader as well as local dealships from the 11K-15K region, for the WRX, not the WRX STi.
Anohaakten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anohaakten
What is the best bang! for the buck car? In my personal opinion, I choose the Subaru WRX, because basically, you are getting 227 horsepower, and have an awesome 0-60 time and you can get one used at the 11K-15K range which is darn good.
So guys, if you could, post what you think is the best bang for the buck car, In your opinion of course.


Thx, Anohaakten

87-93 5.0L Foxbody Mustangs
90-94 Eclipse GSX/Talon AWD
94-97 LT1 F-Body (Probably my next project ... looking at a 96 LT1 T/A)
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:07 AM   #8
flamingheads
CF Newbie
 
flamingheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 19
Sylvias are all round good cars. Cheap to buy, run, maintain, modify. They look good and go pretty well.
flamingheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
As soon as you go used, then you really have to move farther back than a few year old japanese car.

For that 11k, I could buy a Porsche 928 S4, which was an honest 180 mph car when new, and packed well over 300 hp.

Or you could get a 944 Turbo, add a Powerhaus turbo upgrade kit, and have a car that will do 190 mph, and have over 350 RWHP, with a balanced chassis.

For that kind of money, I could build 3 500+hp 460 powered Fox Mustangs.

f you wanted a luxury car, you could buy a late '90s BMW 740 or 750 for under $10k and still have more power than that Subie.

It really depends on what you want to do. Unfortunately, in no case does a WRX come into the best bang for the buck category in that context.

Great cars, but simply not "bang for the buck," even if you are not one that can build up your own car. Buy one because you like it, but don't justify it with faulty logic.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:43 AM   #10
flamingheads
CF Newbie
 
flamingheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 19
BMWs and Porsches are great cars but if you want to modify them or race them the parts are expensive as sh@t, which makes them no such a great choice. Unlike Silvias...
flamingheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingheads
BMWs and Porsches are great cars but if you want to modify them or race them the parts are expensive as sh@t, which makes them no such a great choice. Unlike Silvias...

We're talking bang for the buck. First he mentioned stock used vehicles with 227 hp, and there are a ton of stock vehicles that cost less and are faster, like the Porsches I mentioned. Modding was not the issue. But even if it was, a STOCK 928S4 could go 180 mph. No modding necessary. And you can race them in that stock condition. What'll it take to get a Silvia to go 180 mph in streetable daily driver form? As to the other one I mentioned, the 944 Turbo, the mods to get it to be a 190 mph track car AND streetable daily driver run around $5k. Can a Silvia do 190 mph for $5k in mods?

And if you go to cheaper older used cars, ANYTHING is better than the WRX he mentioned. Yes, the Silvia is good, but it's certainly not the cheapest way to go fast either. Since modding is wide open, there are cheaper platforms that can handle a wide variety of engines to go very quick indeed. And many of them handle very good, as well.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:00 AM   #12
hondaman
I drive a Buick.
 
hondaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Somewhere in Alabama
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
As soon as you go used, then you really have to move farther back than a few year old japanese car.

For that 11k, I could buy a Porsche 928 S4, which was an honest 180 mph car when new, and packed well over 300 hp.

Or you could get a 944 Turbo, add a Powerhaus turbo upgrade kit, and have a car that will do 190 mph, and have over 350 RWHP, with a balanced chassis.

For that kind of money, I could build 3 500+hp 460 powered Fox Mustangs.

f you wanted a luxury car, you could buy a late '90s BMW 740 or 750 for under $10k and still have more power than that Subie.

It really depends on what you want to do. Unfortunately, in no case does a WRX come into the best bang for the buck category in that context.

Great cars, but simply not "bang for the buck," even if you are not one that can build up your own car. Buy one because you like it, but don't justify it with faulty logic.

You can get a late 90s BMW 740i or 750i for under 10k? Must have a lot of miles...

I like Mitsubishi 3000 GTs/ Dodge Stealths. Good cars, you could find one for a good price and they are pretty fast. (About 5.5 seconds to 6o mph.)

Also, early to late 80s Corvettes are a good idea to look up, too new to be a classic yet, too old to carry a high sticker.
__________________
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:47 AM   #13
muah_cargasim
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13
I definately agree with ghost, the eclipse, you can find them for almost nothing, beautiful handling, nice looking car and alot of fun to do out (once you get more money)
__________________
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.
muah_cargasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.