Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2004, 11:40 PM   #1
triggerman
CF Newbie

Gas/Octane Question

Hi
Another stupid question of mine. I've been reading about Octanes in gasoline, and according to around 90% of websites there is no real benefits from a higher octane. Is there any real benefits? Or difference?
triggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman
Hi
Another stupid question of mine. I've been reading about Octanes in gasoline, and according to around 90% of websites there is no real benefits from a higher octane. Is there any real benefits? Or difference?
There is absolutely no benefit to using a higher octane gasoline than the engine requires. Using a higher octane than needed can actually reduce the efficiency of your engine, cause you to get worse gas mileage and put out less power.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
triggerman
CF Newbie

There is absolutely no benefit to using a higher octane gasoline than the engine requires. Using a higher octane than needed can actually reduce the efficiency of your engine, cause you to get worse gas mileage and put out less power.[/quote]

Alright thanks, well how do you get worse gas mileage? I've been told using a higher octane gas helps the engine if it's a "high performance engine" What exactly would or could be considered a high performance engine?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
triggerman
CF Newbie

Alright thanks, well how do you get worse gas mileage? I've been told using a higher octane gas helps the engine if it's a "high performance engine" What exactly would or could be considered a high performance engine?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:16 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman
1. As I said in the previous post, decreased efficiency.
2. More correctly you need higher octane in a higher compression engine. I can't give you a specific number because it depends on factors such as engine design, materials used (aluminum or cast iron) and the powertrain management system. Generally speaking the newer (technolgy wise) the engine, the higher compression it can run before an increase in octane is required.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Last edited by vwhobo : 01-21-2004 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 AM   #6
VrrmPshh
CF Newbie

Ok im a little confused, cause my car only requires 91 octane, but when i put 100 octane in there it re-adjusts the timing and runs faster smoother and i get better gas mileage, so when you say no gains do mean once you reach the optimal octane for your engine ( which in my case is way above pump gas ) or when you go above what your car manual says ( which in my case is 91 ).
VrrmPshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrrmPshh
Ok im a little confused, cause my car only requires 91 octane, but when i put 100 octane in there it re-adjusts the timing and runs faster smoother and i get better gas mileage, so when you say no gains do mean once you reach the optimal octane for your engine ( which in my case is way above pump gas ) or when you go above what your car manual says ( which in my case is 91 ).
In your case what I'll say is you have a great imagination. If your car requires 91 octane, that means it is optimized for 91 octane. Running 100 octane is a waste of money.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #8
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrrmPshh

where do you get 100 octane gas?

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:27 AM   #9
Wally
I Know More Than You

Too many guys no too little about cars

Last edited by Wally : 12-04-2005 at 04:32 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote