Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
illusion34
CF Addict

carb vs fuel injection

im only 14 but i love cars. i always wonder whats is beter over all. my dad has a 1977 trans am (carb) and my friends dad has a 1986 mustang (efi) and we always wonder whats faster. another thing, out of these cars what would u guys say has betetr over all performance

1977 trans am
1986 mustang
1987 camaro iroc z

or suggest some cras like thses, i like american cars so no tuners, be forgiving this is my first post and im only 14
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Carb's offer adjustability whereas EFI doesn't, EFI makes all it's own adjustments within certain perameters. Carbureted vehicles can also be cheaper to hop up than EFI vehicles. In my opinion EFI is the better of the two because it's like having a thousand jets for every situation and being able to change them hundreds of times per second. With a carb, you will usually jet it for peak power in a performance application. Often times part throttle cruising and idle quality will suffer and sometimes you can even experience off-idle stumble. An experienced carb tuner could tune a carb to make peak power and still be OK while idling and part-throttle driving as well as eliminating or reducing off-idle stumble.

As far as the T/A vs. the 'Stang, it all depends on what engine is in T/A, what condition both vehicles are in, trans type(stick/auto), and modifications.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #3
illusion34
CF Addict

As far as the T/A vs. the 'Stang, it all depends on what engine is in T/A, what condition both vehicles are in, trans type(stick/auto), and modifications.[/quote]

ok, well there both in mint condition and everything is stock, the t/a is running a 403 and is manua. not modified.but as for the efi vs. carb, the sound is much better with a carb, like really nice. and ya, what would be a real good old american car(looks,performance,handling,speed) that wouldnt cost me a fortune.

Last edited by illusion34 : 06-08-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
illusion34
CF Addict

come on guys answer.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
FordFromHell351
Banned

I prefer to use a carb. Especially when Im racing.

As for who would win the race between the cars you mentioned, these would be the results:

Mustang vs. IROC-Z - It would be close but the Mustang would take it.
Trans Am vs. IROC-Z - It would be the IROC-Z, no contest.
Mustang vs. Trans Am - Mustang, hands down.

This is assuming that all the cars are stock, no mods.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:00 AM   #6
illusion34
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
I prefer to use a carb. Especially when Im racing.

As for who would win the race between the cars you mentioned, these would be the results:

Mustang vs. IROC-Z - It would be close but the Mustang would take it.
Trans Am vs. IROC-Z - It would be the IROC-Z, no contest.
Mustang vs. Trans Am - Mustang, hands down.

This is assuming that all the cars are stock, no mods.

y does the trans am suck so much lol?

and whats a good car thats fast and handles good that doesnt cost over 20 grand, and did y take into consideration that its a 1986 mustang, and the trans am is a 1977 403, 6.6 LITRE and its carb lol