Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Vlad
CF Addict

What car to get?

I really wanted a 240z, I called a guy selling one for 2,000 he was supposed to call back but that was a few weeks ago and I'm assuming he already sold it...

Anyways my parents wern't sure about getting such an old car, my dad thinks it'll have too much stuff wrong with it.

It will also be very impractical for me, because it only has two seats, and I will have to give my brother and sister rides alot. So now I have to look at other options.

My idea is to get a car from a dealer, not brand new, but pay small payments monthly. I finally got a job (yay!) and will have a steady income of 500-600 a month. My parents want me to pay for my own insurance and gas, and also the car if I get one. Right now my parents pay 200 a month on insurance and I'm not sure how much on gas.

Anyways, in those magazines I pick up at the store, I have seen plenty of cars I like for $99-$150 a month, with zero down. This would be affordable for me, if I pay 200 insurance, 100 for the car, however much on gas and I still have 200-300 a month left on whatever else I need.

The cars I have seen were a 2000 Civic Si, which is the only civic I would want to get. I have never really wanted one because there are so many of them out there, but I recently drove my friend's 2000 Civic Si, and I must say I liked it. The engine sounded nice, the seat was comfortable, and I had enough leg room. This is probably the best option for me right now, but I will consider others. The thing that sucks is that it takes premium gas, but it gets an amazing 35 mpg city, or so carsdirect.com says, and so then gas wouldn't be too much of a problem. Premium is now the price of what I paid for regular just a few weeks ago.

Another option is a 2001 prelude, also for $99 per month. 200 horses, 40 more than the civic, but weighs more, but also eats premium gas, and gets only 22 mpg city, and so gas would probably kill me.

I also really want a mustang, a 99 and up GT, and can probably find one for under $200 a month, but with a V8, the 17 mpg would kill me, but man...RWD, 260 horses, awesome looks....I want.... It might turn out to be the same on gas a the prelude, because it doesn't take premium.

Right now the most workable option seems to be the Civic...but I don't know...I love preludes, and I really want that mustang...but then the civic will probably be the cheapest on insurance also, even though it will be under my parents' policy but still. I heard mustangs were terrible on insurance, especially for teens.

I'd appreciate any input, and if you have any other ideas about what car to get, please tell me. What I want is something I can get for $200 per month MAX, the lower the better, I want something a bit sporty, decent acceleration and handling, and good looks. Also something I can add mods to as I go along, and work on in my auto class next fall.

Last edited by Vlad : 06-11-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
FordFromHell351
Banned

To save you money on gas, for the FIRST TIME on Car-Forums Im going to suggest NOT getting a Mustang.

I would suggest getting an OLDER Honda Prelude, like a 94 with the VTEC. I could bet money that car wont have a thing wrong with it It would also save you money on those payments.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Posted by Vlad
I heard mustangs were terrible on insurance, especially for teens.

Actually, just about any car is terrible with insurance for teens, especially guys (I will have to pay insurance for my car) but the 94 Prelude would have low maintenance, gas, insurance, and payment costs. You can modify it, and Honda's definitely reliable.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
Vlad
CF Addict

Quote:
Actually, just about any car is terrible with insurance for teens, especially guys

True, but some are more terrible than others.

Is there a reason you guys suggest the 94 prelude over the 01? Is it just the looks?

Well, it doesn't need premium gas at least, and only 10 horses less than the 01. But 22 mpg city isn't exactly great. I haven't driven a prelude, but my friend who works at a place that cleans dealership's cars has and he said it was awesome. I'd try to get a test drive in it. Can't find the weight on the 94...but the 01 weighs almost 3,000 pounds, so if the 94 is about the same thats 15.78 pounds per horsepower, where the civic Si is 16.325 pounds per horse, so the prelude is faster by a bit. Which has the better handling?

I just got some current magazines today, I'm looking through them right now, the ones I mentioned before were from a magazine from about a month ago.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #5
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
Which has the better handling?.

The Civic has better suspension.

What kind of drivelines are you into? It sounds like you are fine with FWD but would prefer RWD. How about AWD? A mid 90's Subaru could be nice. There are turbo and n/a models, depending on the gas mileage you would like.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
Vlad
CF Addict

yeah, I'd want a RWD or AWD, but I'll go with the FWD if I have to. I don't really like subarus that much, I think they are ugly for the most part.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:26 AM   #7
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
True, but some are more terrible than others.

Is there a reason you guys suggest the 94 prelude over the 01? Is it just the looks?

Well, it doesn't need premium gas at least, and only 10 horses less than the 01. But 22 mpg city isn't exactly great. I haven't driven a prelude, but my friend who works at a place that cleans dealership's cars has and he said it was awesome. I'd try to get a test drive in it. Can't find the weight on the 94...but the 01 weighs almost 3,000 pounds, so if the 94 is about the same thats 15.78 pounds per horsepower, where the civic Si is 16.325 pounds per horse, so the prelude is faster by a bit. Which has the better handling?

I just got some current magazines today, I'm looking through them right now, the ones I mentioned before were from a magazine from about a month ago.

Somewhat lower insurance, and theyre cheaper so less payments. I also do like the look of them more than the newer ones. I believe that they weigh just under 3000lbs.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:57 AM   #8
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

first off, a manual '94 prelude weighs about 2760 (automatic about 50 more) pounds.

i'd say you're smart to think about gas milage, and questioning the decision to buy a mustang.

but... there's so many of them on the road. how was that a reason for not getting a civic, but that doesnt matter for a mustang?

a FWD car will have better gas milage, and wont have as much horsepower and torque, so lower insurance.

you're 16, so im guessing this is your first car. chances are, you're unexperienced, so you're gonna get in a wreck. (i've gotten in 3 fender benders, nothing serious enough to be reported to the police, i'm 18, all three were my fault).

maybe think about an early/mid 90's integra. they get better gas milage then a prelude, and are also made by honda/acura.

or just choke it up, and get 5-8 year old civic. i'm looking for a car too, and a civic is basicly the upmost example of a "wise" choice for a high school kid. good gas milage, reliable, i would assume cheap for maintence, as there are thousands of them out there.

it all depends on how important each thing is too you... obviously money will cap you somewhere. you dont want something that you might be driven to drive wrecklessly.

just sharing a few things i've picked up in the past month or so looking for my 2nd car. one in which i have the leisure of being able to take my time in deciding what i want. hope it helps.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote