Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
mrfreshnklean
CF Newbie

Increasing my 455's horsepower

I have a 74 cutty with an olds 455..

I don't know that much about cars I must admit, but I was wondering what would be the best engine mods that could boost my horsepower a bit?

Also where can I find information on this motor at? Like stock horsepower etc.

thanks alot
mrfreshnklean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

uhm, 4-barrel carb, low-restriction exhaust. that's actually all I can think of besides blower. but that's a real problem with fuel economy.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:13 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreshnklean
I have a 74 cutty with an olds 455..

I don't know that much about cars I must admit, but I was wondering what would be the best engine mods that could boost my horsepower a bit?

Also where can I find information on this motor at? Like stock horsepower etc.

thanks alot
First I'll assume you mean a Cutlass, a "Cutty" is a sailing ship, a spoon, a pipe or an Irish whore.

You'll have to be just a little bit more specific than that. What kind of condition is it currently in? Is it the original engine or is it something that's been dropped in? Define "a bit". Why do you think you need to boost your horsepower, are you sure it's not torque you're after? How capable are you of doing the work yourself? What is your budget? Define "best".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
uhm, 4-barrel carb, low-restriction exhaust. that's actually all I can think of besides blower. but that's a real problem with fuel economy.
Only three ways to increase power? Why don't we get some facts before jumping to conclusions?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:56 AM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
a "Cutty" is a sailing ship, a spoon, a pipe or an Irish whore.

an irish whore....interesting....

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:45 AM   #5
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Only three ways to increase power? Why don't we get some facts before jumping to conclusions?

those where just the ways I could think of off the top of my head (which is amazing there's anything there in the first place) And I have done some research in the past because one of my friends has a 72 Olds Cutlass and I wanted to see some of the horse power upgrades as well as torque. those 3 were the only I could think of at the time and wasn't about to go look them up at 11:30PM. Too tired for that. I'm not trying to argue with you, I just wish you would take into consideration some of the other possible reasons I would give that answer.

Ohh yeah, btw, my friends Cutlass has a 350 Rocket so are there more modifications for it than the 455? Or are they really around the same? (I know, really general question but got curious)

My wife's cars:

Last edited by Satty101 : 02-02-2004 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:15 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Ohh yeah, btw, my friends Cutlass has a 350 Rocket so are there more modifications for it than the 455? Or are they really around the same? (I know, really general question but got curious)
Unlike Chevy, Ford, and Mopar, an Olds V8 is an Olds V8, there is no small-block or big-block. Being as the architecture is the same they will both respond to the same modifications. Keep in mind the 350, having smaller and lighter rotating and reciprocating components will accept more rpm than the 455. The other side of that is the 455 has larger crank journals making it stronger and has space for larger valves allowing more airflow.

So to answer your question, yes they are very close to being the same. That being said you can get more power for the same price with the 455 AND it'll bolt right in place of the 350. Is that enough info?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-02-2004, 06:18 AM   #7
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Unlike Chevy, Ford, and Mopar, an Olds V8 is an Olds V8, there is no small-block or big-block. Being as the architecture is the same they will both respond to the same modifications. Keep in mind the 350, having smaller and lighter rotating and reciprocating components will accept more rpm than the 455. The other side of that is the 455 has larger crank journals making it stronger and has space for larger valves allowing more airflow.

So to answer your question, yes they are very close to being the same. That being said you can get more power for the same price with the 455 AND it'll bolt right in place of the 350. Is that enough info?

plenty. thank you.

My wife's cars:

Old 02-02-2004, 08:28 AM   #8
mrfreshnklean
CF Newbie

ITs the stock olds 455 in there... runs great.. Previous owner put a high flow K&N and thats it . I dont think I need torque, the tires smoke for about 75 feet as it is.

The real problem is the wheels I have on there... 285/30/20's.. (Sorry) I basicaly want it to be as fast as it was when I had the cragers on it.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
mrfreshnklean
CF Newbie

Quote:
First I'll assume you mean a Cutlass, a "Cutty" is a sailing ship, a spoon, a pipe or an Irish whore.

You'll have to be just a little bit more specific than that. What kind of condition is it currently in? Is it the original engine or is it something that's been dropped in? Define "a bit". Why do you think you need to boost your horsepower, are you sure it's not torque you're after? How capable are you of doing the work yourself? What is your budget? Define "best".

when i refered to rear gears i meant is there a better gear ratio to use when you have bigger rims.

1) condition is great.. functions perfectly. Motor is bare, just the fan and the alternator (Should I bother with an electric fan?)

2) stock olds 455 w/ TH400 automatic

3) I just want it to be a little faster. Comparable to when it was on the cragers. Its not going to be a drag race car, its a show car... Just wondering what little mods are to boost my HP by 50 or so.

4) I've got connections.. Would rather not replace the cam though.. Something I can do at home with a tool box.

5) budget is $500-1000

Last edited by mrfreshnklean : 02-02-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
when i refered to rear gears i meant is there a better gear ratio to use when you have bigger rims.

1) condition is great.. functions perfectly. Motor is bare, just the fan and the alternator (Should I bother with an electric fan?)

2) stock olds 455

3) I just want it to be a little faster. Comparable to when it was on the cragers. Its not going to be a drag race car, its a show car... Just wondering what little mods are to boost my HP by 50 or so.

4) I've got connections.. Would rather not replace the cam though.. Something I can do at home with a tool box.

5) budget is $500-1000
This would be the perfect time for you to go to the Gearhead Garage and read the latest article (also an excellent time for me to plug it).

Fifty horsepower is going to be a tough job with bolt-ons on that engine, because of the low compression and the smog heads. Without replacing the cam you're seriously limiting yourself, and even with a cam swap it'll be tough. About all you have left is the intake, carb, headers and exhaust. That right there will use a good portion of your $1k and get you maybe 30 or so hp.

If it's only for occasional use you might be money and labor ahead to go with a low budget, low hp, plate nitrous system. As long as you run small pills you won't do any damage to the engine or drivetrain. In my opinion the best and most cost effective way is to get rid of the dubs. The car will go, stop and turn better plus think of all the money you'll have to put into performance upgrades.

For those of you who have no idea what kind of car we're talking about;

Old 02-02-2004, 02:12 PM   #11
mrfreshnklean
CF Newbie

Is there a specific nitrous system / HP you would recommend?

It just killed me when my friend passed me in his stock crx

Last edited by mrfreshnklean : 02-02-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:22 PM   #12
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Is there a specific nitrous system you would recommend?

personaly, I think NOS is over-rated thanks to The Slow and The Curious. The way I see it, either ZEX or Nitrous Express are the 2 to consider. But this is all my opinion. VWhobo may see hings differently and I impatiantly await his response.

My wife's cars:

Old 02-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Is there a specific nitrous system / HP you would recommend?

Honestly, for your application I would have to go shopping. Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS), ZEX, Nitrous Express, Holley, etc all make good systems. Your best bet would be to call some tech lines and see what their recommendations are for your car, how complete the kits are, pricing and so on. You might even scam a deal on e-Bay or check your local dragstrip.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:39 AM   #14
LetsGoRodeo
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Increasing Horsepower

There are several options for INCREASING HORSEPOWER, however most will put a giant sized crimp in your wallet; just ask any INDY and NASCAR team owner.

One popular option on the market is "the chip." Unfortuanately, the computer chip has several monumental draw backs:

1) The chip will set you back $400-500 for a mere couple percentage points increase in horsepower.
2) It will immediately VOID your warranty, so adding the chip to a new car can end up costing a lot more than the purchase price.
3) Finally, there's only a minimal increase in horsepower.

Now here's an option that gives you a very hefty bang for the buck and double digit increase on RPM without breaking your bank on a mechanic. Infact, in the long run you will actually save money by additionally increasing your miles per gallon.

Check out MPG Technologies, <link removed>

Racing teams have used a variety of MPG Technologies products! Approved by the Federal Aviation Administration for use in aircraft, MPG Technologies products have been tested by the US Department of Energy, Franklin Research Group, NASA and Consumer Digest.

"We were skeptical at first, but it turns out that the product does exactly what the manufacturer claims."
Consumer Digest

The engine treatment has been tested worldwide by universities, military, government and independent test facilities have shown an average 17.5% increase in horsepower.

Official Test Results
Reduced Friction 12.6%
Improved Horsepower 15.5%
Increased MPG 17.5%
<link removed>

<link removed> MPG Technologies backs up their claims with testing and offers some revealing information on other products on the market <link removed>

As the primary sponsor of the Long Beach Gran Prix under the LubraLon label their treatment set the pace for the industry. Emissions and fuel treatment significantly reduces toxic emissions. The transmission and gear box treatment can save thousands of dollars on rebuilds.

They have products for Car & Truck, Boat, Plane, Small Engine, Motorcycle, Heavy Equipment, Compressors and a variety of other mechanical engines.

<link removed>

Last edited by SuperJew : 09-09-2004 at 09:49 PM.
LetsGoRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:51 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

F*cking junk, that's twice in one night.

Last edited by vwhobo : 09-09-2004 at 02:54 AM.